Great diving in Puerto Galera


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindoro » Puerto Galera
October 11th 2014
Published: October 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

White BeachWhite BeachWhite Beach

Some good dining here at night too
Puerto Galera (or PG as it is known) is an amazing dive location, but also worth a visit for non divers. There are rows of dive lodges and shops along the beaches at Sabang and White Beach, some look a bit tired but they offer cheap accommodation and diving, and from reports they are quite comfortable. We stayed at Infinity, past White Beach but a great resort with a pool and a spa. The service was fantastic.

There are no taxis, you either get your accomodation to arrange transport in their van or Jeepnie, or you negotiate with one of the multitudes of trikes, small motorcycles (mostly 175cc) with covered sidecars attached. They are rough and ready, but they get you there and you often see a family of 5 getting around on one. Sometimes this is even with one of the kids sitting on the sidecar roof. Make sure you try out the Jeepnie buses also, an intrinsic part of the Philippines.

This was our first trip to the Philippines, and while we had expected to see the poverty in Manila, we hadn't realised how widespread it is across the country. PG has its own shanty town sections,
NemoNemoNemo

There are plenty of clown fish
some with million dollar coastal views. You can see why typhoons create such havoc here.

Scuba diving is what PG is all about, and it is fantastic. Most of the dive sites are close to Sabang, and I couldn't believe how good the coral and fish life was so close to such a populated shoreline. There are plenty of sites to visit, we saw some great sea life including turtles, sea snakes, and and a proliferation of clown fish. The coral was healthy, and in much better condition than we saw on the Great Barrier Reef earlier in the year. I dived with Marco Vincent. They were having a quiet week and I was the only diver on the three days I dived. It didn't matter, they took the boat out and we dived some great sites.

We tried a few different beach front places for dinner each night, and they were all great. Luca's for great Italian, and Tamarind in Sabang was fantastic.

We will definitely be back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

PG BayPG Bay
PG Bay

Port of the Galleons, a safe harbour since 1510
TurtleTurtle
Turtle

This old bloke was scratching himself on the reef
TrikeTrike
Trike

They don't have taxis, but these get you home
ParasailingParasailing
Parasailing

We went parasailing, hired a jet ski, and also did a bit of kayaking
Sabang at nightSabang at night
Sabang at night

Plenty of bars and places to eat. Also night dives just off shore


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb