A bit about work


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao
April 20th 2006
Published: April 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Looking inlandLooking inlandLooking inland

This is the sort of view I get looking inland towards the hills. What you can see here is mostly coconut growing country.
One of the reasons for coming over here was to get some new experiences in the world of work. There will be some big new experiences!

The basic situation is:

The Local Government Unit (LGU) (similar to a county council) has responsibility for livelihoods, health, education, land use etc. Most of the normal government responsibilities with a few additions such as water supply.

While the responsibilities have been devolved to a local level resources have not. The problems are not just financial - in the Municipality of Lanuza LGU where I am based the land use is 80% forest but they have had no forester or forestry graduate on the staff and have had difficulty in recruiting these skills.

To further erode the local control the central government is responsible for operating and approving Timber Licensing Agreements (TLA). These last for 25 years and give private companies the rights to log an area (almost all the uplands are state owned). There is very little returned from the operations to the local area although the central government gets a reasonable slice. Operations are carried out under a management plan similar to a FE forest design plan but less public. Theoretically if this is not followed the right to operate could be removed but the control process is very weak!

The Lanuza LGU that I am working in is quite progressive and has some good thinking about the needs to safeguard the natural resources that remain. They had a previous VSO volunteer who worked very successfully in the marine sector. The local people all have an opinion on logging mostly against as they see little benefit from it and many problems this, has led to very tense situations and violence in the past. Much of the municipality is upland with indigenous people who live and subsistence farm in areas that are licensed under the current TLA. Access can be difficult, not possible by 4 wheels but it can be done with a motorbike - Gulp!

There are 3 main tasks for this year
Ø To set out a protected area of forest covering the catchment for the towns water supply. This aproximate area is currently protected by a “gentleman’s agreement” with the logging company. Its location is not well understood - Oh for the OS! This will be about 300ha some of it with slopes in excess of 70degrees.
Ø We have a one year project funded by the EU to produce a Forest Land Use Plan (FLUP) this is something like a Regional Forestry Framework crossed with a Forest Design Plan. I have already been introduced to some of the stakeholders in the presence of their guards - and AK47s.
Ø To increase the credibility and effectiveness of the LGU in making representations on forestry policy to national government and also in negotiations with the logging company.

It will be fun! I will keep you posted about what happens.






Advertisement



26th May 2006

Good for You !
Anyone who wants to protect the natural environment deserves a commendation. I'm all for the good deeds you intend to implement in our country - God bless you and more power to you ! cheers !

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb