Mindanao; Abu Sayyaf the MILF and a bloke called Joe.


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

With the ship still anchored in the harbor I settle into my bunk overlooking the Sulu Sea with a book, and wait... My lethargic spell is broken by the abrupt arrival of five busloads of men, women and children. They clamber off the bus two-by-two. A heavily armed immigration officer unlocks their handcuffs; before they shimmy self-consciously up the gangplank and disappear into the bowels of the s... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

T'Boli womens head dressT'Boli womens head dress
T'Boli womens head dress

Lake Sebu, Mindanao
RiceRice
Rice

Lake Sebu, Mindanao
they seem happy?they seem happy?
they seem happy?

Lake Sebu, Mindanao
Lake SebuLake Sebu
Lake Sebu

The home of the T'Boli tribe, Mindanao
fishfish
fish

Basilan
Lake SebuLake Sebu
Lake Sebu

Mindanao



2nd March 2006

First of all, let me say you are a brave man. I am a Filipino born and raised in Mindanao, and now lives in the U.S., yet never visited Basilan for the reasons that you now know about :-) The division of Muslim and Christian Filipinos has been an issue for a very long time, and I think will not end. It's just like the Jews and the Palestinians. Mindanao culture is very diverse. You are lucky to see a few tribal people in their ethnic clothes - lonely planet is right actually right :-)
2nd March 2006

Awesome
Very cool! I would love to hear tips on how you travel and make your way. Did you stay with the 'mayor'? what other sorts of lodging did you find. Fab pictures!
2nd March 2006

Great info
I am just about to fly out to Mindanao to work for a couple of years so should get to know the place quite well. This is one of the only places I have found anything useful about this end of the Philippines. Like you say the guidebooks are all full of over the top warnings!
3rd March 2006

you've seen the south, see the north...
then you should see northern Philippines.... try Babuyan Islands or Pagudpud or even Vigan in Ilocos
3rd March 2006

Fascinating photographs
You must do an exhibition on these. Well done!
6th March 2006

I can feel your genuine interest in the people you meet in your travel in the Phils. I wish you a safe journey.
9th March 2006

Sounds like you almost got yourself into trouble. Did you ever feel unsafe in your journeys? You are way more ballsy (is that a word) than me.
20th March 2006

joe! :)
hi! i admire ur braveness,. im a Filipino and ive always wanted to go to mindanao. my grandmothers from there and she always tell us great stories about mindanao. they use to own lands there but unfortunately some group took that away from their family. its kinda sad because us filipinos are sometimes so racist because its not an issue here, and we dont care much about our own. anyway thanks for visiting mindanao. i hope you could visit us again. i believe that theres a lot to see in the Philippines. this is a great country, its just that some Filipinos dont notice that.
21st March 2006

WOW.
This is an incredibly illustrious and well-written blog. Your photographs are beautiful and incredibly inspiring. If you are at all interested, there is an awesome travel writing contest going on that I just heard about, that you can check out [this] here. Fantastic blog, I'll be sure to check back again soon!
16th April 2006

Been there, done that!!
Hi, great story, I spent a lot of time travelling around Mindanao-well off the beaten tourist path- and have never yet had any probs, just came back from Marawi to my Wife's home (near Maranding) and now having a well earned rest before we start off again for a 5 week stay on and around Mount Apo visiting more of my Wife's 'extended' family, hehe. Mindanao is a wonderful; place and it is now my main home, instead of the UK. Take care
19th April 2006

No surprise here
Great story. There are quite a number of foreign travellers in and out of the so-called 'problematic' areas in Mindanao but few make it to the blogs so there's nothing really surprising. In reality the locals are the most afraid to venture out in their own country because of what they 'heard'. Anyhow back to Mindanao charms, have you had any luck finding those pink sand beaches? Been searching for them too :)
19th April 2006

Pink beaches
Hi Lorraine, the beach you are looking for is called Santa Cruz (a fifteen minute boat ride from Zamboanga). Apparently the mixture of pulverized red organ-pipe coral it contains causes the pinkish sand colour. Hope your adventure makes it to the blogs;-)
10th May 2006

glad for your thrill-seeking visits to basilan n zamboanga
firstly, thanks for dropping by, zamboanga city was thoroughly been blacklisted from the foreigners/tourists, due to a series of misbehaviours shall i put it this way..nontheless, we got lots to offer just like any regions of the Philippines...It just saddened me, not to be able to extend personal assistance to your trip herein. Zamboanga City has its own beauty and tuna canning factories too...and the city's backdrop as u would have noticed, are greeneries from hills and mountains and fields of pala(rice), while u could face the sea calm in the evening by the boulevard right in the city....thanks though...
28th November 2006

Did it touch your heart?
Just read your journal at the airport in Hong Kong on my way home from Mindanao. I have just visited the Manobo tribes and many other places in Bukidnon for the last few weeks. Next year I will go there as a full time missionary. I always have wondered how Westerners that come to these places feel if they are 'not' missionaries but rather tourists. Do they also feel overwelmed with the poverty and exploitation of the people there or do they just see it as an amazing place? How I wish you could had meet some of the tribal people that has now changed their traditional spiritual lifestlyes full of fear of what the spirits may do to them to a life full of love and joy. As these people recieve Jesus into their lives they start to care for their families and fellow villagers in a new way -naturally without any outside promting. No longer do they continue to kill each others animals in revenge or even family members. Their lives actually do become so much better in so many aspects. Did you know that their sicknesses leaves and their healths improves? The Christians that take the trouble to reach them allows them to continue to keep their culture but they themselves change some things for a better life. Oh, I really hope that you one day will get the chance to see with your own eyes they amazing changes that Jesus has done for so many in Mindanao!! May you have many more great travel experiences in the future!
8th December 2006

this, by far, is my favorite travel blog EVER. as a filipino growing up in suburban manila, even we've been brainwashed by the media to avoid stepping foot in southern mindanao, what more someone who looks completely foreign? i recently did a documentary in the depths of compostella valley and my father was trying to talk me out of it until i got on the plane to depart manila... i met the most incredible people in mindanao, who did not have 1/16th of what i consider comfort yet they had a certain sparkle in their eyes i've never seen from anyone living in the city, an unspoken contentment.
9th December 2006

Hi
You my dear, are inspiring! I can't believe you went to Basilan. I'm actually ashamed of myself for never ever thinking of going there because of all the terrorist hype... but what the hell... I'l put that on my to go list. I also found your commentaries about my country's predicaments interesting and painfully true.
23rd February 2007

Mindanao is not that dangerous
Thanks for the courage and for proving to the world that Mindanao is not that dangerous...I am from Mindanao, I grew up here and though I will be studying in Singapore for the next 3 years, I will still go back to the Philippines especially in Mindanao to share what I will learn...My reason: Mindanao is rich...rich in culture and the arts...anybody's travel to my wonderful place is worth it...not only because of the warm smiles...but the whole experience itself;-) NAMASTE!
4th April 2007

Racism
Having been raised in the Philippines a Protesant, I know that the predominantly Catholic people can say some baseless things about people of other religions. I know it's even worse for those who believe in Islam than for non-Catholic Christians. But I don't think that the warnings they gave you about going to Basilan were "racist" against Muslims. That's because I think they were trying to warn you about Abu Sayyaf, not about Muslims. Perhaps they should have been more specific when warning you, but it may also have been their reluctance to delve into details. And tourists do need to be informed -- it may be riskier for them to actually go to tourist areas (because of Abu Sayyaf) than to go to Basilan and learn about the rich Islamic heritage of the Philippines. I think you had a great experience -- I would hope that you would see the warnings you got from non-Muslims in the north as a genuine attempt to look out for your well-being and a warning about Abu Sayyaf (they really do kill and kidnap tourists, though not as frequently as the media would make it seem) and not as racist comments against Muslims.
21st May 2007

Basilan
the next time you go there let me know, I was born and raised in Basilan but residing long time in U.S. I was there last year, we have some rubber trees and still planting now for the future generation. There are muslims living in our land but they never hurt us, in fact they are the one who protects us, more than the Christians. I will be traveling this year there to take a look at our agricultural lands (rubber trees) wanna come.. It is not really scary as you may think if you know the culture. Basilenos do not like arrogant people. Wasalam.
31st August 2007

Thank you :-)
Thank you joe.. i can use your blogs pic on our presentation exam...
31st August 2007

land unvailed
just happened on this blog as im going to visit mindanao at christmas time. since reading this you have given me the best insight i could have to life in this beautifull and (to me) mysterious country i must have that sense of adventure like yourself as from reading this i just cant wait to get over there now
12th June 2008

Well Done Mr
24th July 2008

Who writes those stuff from LP?
Obviously, people who just sit in front of their computer and research everything on the internet...unlike someone like you experiencing things firsthand. Let's buy LP a few round of drinks and help them have the balls to go to such places. Bravo to you...keep on blogging. And keep on traveling. Great shots!
29th August 2008

Tanduay
Just one minor point, Tanduay is a brandy, not a rum but I do not blame the author for the mistake, as it more resembles whiskey in colour and odor than any brandy I have ever seen.
31st January 2011
Manobo or 'mixed tribe' women

ang gaganda nila
hinaopt ,ausab ilang mga nawong

Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 45; qc: 185; dbt: 0.2274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb