Mindanao; Abu Sayyaf the MILF and a bloke called Joe.


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

You and  whose army?You and  whose army?You and whose army?

The escort, Basilan
With the ship still anchored in the harbor I settle into my bunk overlooking the Sulu Sea with a book, and wait... My lethargic spell is broken by the abrupt arrival of five busloads of men, women and children. They clamber off the bus two-by-two. A heavily armed immigration officer unlocks their handcuffs; before they shimmy self-consciously up the gangplank and disappear into the bowels of the ship to be transported like cattle, out of sight of paying passengers, back to their homeland. They are illegal immigrants, caught in search of greater economic opportunities, treated like criminals for attempting to enter a land not of their birth.

I'm told an unskilled worker in The Philippines can expect to earn $100 a month, in Malaysia they can command almost three times that amount. The Filipino economy is fueled by money sent from abroad, with more than half the population directly dependent on remittance from migrant workers. 20- and 30-something Filipino women form the majority of the seven million Filipino foreign workers currently scattered around the world, supporting their families back home by cleaning houses, performing in nightclubs, or caring for children, the sick or elderly. A number of course are forced into less noble professions like prostitution.

Though this trend keeps the country economically buoyant, it’s also eroding the very fabric of Filipino society. Many children develop behavioral problems and grow up undisciplined and disrespectful due to the lack of family support networks, and the physical and emotional distance from their parents.

I ask someone what will happen to them when they arrive in The Philippines “Nothing! Most will try to return to Malaysia as soon as they can, it's a matter of family survival, and they have no choice!”

It seems everyone on the boat is eager to speak to me, to find out why I am here, where I will go and to offer their opinions: An ex-Filipino who’d lived in Malaysia for over twenty years proudly boasted about his Malaysian citizenship. "The Philippines is a mess, they've inherited the American gun culture and so it’s like the Wild West…They’ve made big mistakes over there because the Americans had no experience at colonization… Malaysia is not like that, Malaysia is civilized because it was a British Colony…British colonies are always more peaceful and civilized” This is clearly meant to tickle my supposed patriotism. "But you know that America was once a British Colony itself?" I offer.

In another conversation: “You should go to Dipolog, they have a resort, many people like you, and sexy women in bikinis” “Oh, have you been?” I ask “No but I have heard stories” “what about Basilan”? He flashes me a worried look, his gaze falls to his feet and he begins playing footsie with himself. “There‘s nothing for you in Basilan, it is boring for you, Dipolog is much better” “Boring” I said, a little confused “Yes sir” he looks up, and down at his feet again “…and there are Muslims… No good” “Have you been”? … He hadn’t, but this time he failed to mention he’d ‘heard stories’.

I'm on my way to Zamboanga in Mindanao. Tourists rarely travel this route since a group of Islamic thugs named Abu Sayyaf were able to hog the international headlines, after some massively inopportune timing, when they kidnapped and killed some tourists a few weeks after 9/11. Mindanao became the "second front" in the US’ war against terrorism…well atleast until it was ‘discovered’ Saddam Husein tried to buy uranium…from Africa!!!

Later that night, as I watch the white foam
ready for Christmasready for Christmasready for Christmas

Town Hall, Zamboanga
of the ships wake disappearing into the darkness, an older man joins me. “You cannot sleep” he says “no” I look at my watch it’s 1am. We exchange niceties, before arriving on the inevitable question. “Where will you go in The Philippines?” “I don’t know yet…what do you know about Basilan?” He immediately brightens to this topic; his wife is from Basilan he tells me, though neither he nor his wife have been there for 20 years, he proceeds to tell me all about the two main towns Isabela and Lamitan…and it’s true - they have PINK sandy beaches on Santa Cruz! Finally, I thought; some firsthand information not based on hearsay.

“I think will go to Lamitan,” I say. “No, no…” he says, “…It is very dangerous!” “Why?” “Muslims!” “Ok… so I will go to Isabela” “No” he says, “Muslims!” “Muslims?” I laugh at the sudden unexpected turn the conversation has taken since I’d assumed he WAS Muslim. He laughs also, though more out of insecurity and politeness.

The sounds of the sea suddenly manifest, as a momentary silence descends upon our conversation. We are both motionless aside from a gold crucifix that sways glistening from his neck in tune to the oceans whims. He must have noticed its eminence as I did, because almost on impulse, he moved his hand instinctively to the crucifix and tucked it inside the neck of his T-shirt.
I’ve thought about this incident many times since, pondering the reasons for his action. But I’ll stick with my initial feeling: It was as if he were somehow ashamed at what he’d said, and he didn’t want to be judged by Him who’d died on the cross without prejudice for the sins of mankind.

I pottered around Zamboanga for a few days, visiting sights and learning as much about Mindanao as I could. Most people called me ‘Joe’ which I later discovered was a generic term for foreign white males, stemming from the American occupation and ‘GI Joe’. Some even thought I was a missionary, after all, I was too hairy to be in the military and tourists just don’t come to Zamboanga.

One day I hailed a tuk-tuk for a logistics mission, visiting bus stations, banks, pharmacies and shipping offices… after three hours I had developed a rapport with the driver, and on completion of our mission I asked him
BadjaoBadjaoBadjao

Basilan
what the damage would be. He seemed shy, and told me that he’d never had such a long fare before, or a tourist passenger. Looking rather embarrassed he asked me for $3US - and yep I did it - wonders will never cease - I gave a taxi driver more than he asked for! His face beamed with delight; had I set a bad example? Who cares, he won’t be seeing another tourist any time soon, at least whilst this irrational fear has a stranglehold over people’s minds the world over. Then I asked him to pick me up bright and early the next morning as planned, for my trip to Basilan.

“Please don’t go sir…” he said coyly, and then paused almost as if he were about to let me into one of his darkest secrets “…There are Muslims” - And that, without doubt, was the sweetest racist comment I have ever heard! - Prompting me to immediately try and reassure him as best I could; “It is in my nature to go, I have to, if it is my time, then it is my time”. He smiled and then trumped me in broken English, with this nugget “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me…”

That night I felt genuinely excited; Basilan seemed like the most exciting destination in the world, with every negative comment having fanned the flames of my excitement. My choice of travel day was Friday, the Muslim Sabbath, and day of prayer, adding further dread to peoples dissuasion. My Soul positively tingled with expectation…we make a good team he and I, pushing each other to the nether regions of the earth - though if the truth be known, he makes me do it - I just buy the tickets;-) …In return he lets me know what it feels to be alive. The same feeling that doubtless drives the moth to the flame.

When the Spanish turned up in Mindanao and discovered Muslims here just a few years after they’d pushed the Moors out of Spain, they got stuck straight into their historical tradition of eliminating non-Christians and converting people to "the true religion". During three hundred years of Spanish rule, however, dominance over the Muslims on Mindanao and Sulu was never fully achieved. In 1898 The Philippines declared independence from Spain, who then decided to sell the place to the US for $20million; Enter Uncle Sam, and his justifications for colonizing; to Christianize and democratize.

"We have bought some islands from a party who did not own them. We went back on an honored guest of the Stars and Stripes when we had no further use for him and chased him into the mountains. We have pacified some thousands of islanders and buried them; destroyed their fields; burned their villages, and turned their widows and orphans out of doors; subjugated the remaining tens of millions by benevolent assimilation…"


Mark Twain.

In 3 years the Americans killed 600,000 Filipinos. Many in the states were understandably horrified and Anti-war movements sprung up protesting the war, though it continued to be justified: “Senators must remember that we are not dealing with Americans or Europeans. We are dealing with Orientals”

During American rule in the first half of this century the Muslims were never totally pacified in the so-called "Moro Wars." The 1903 Moro Act gave land to Christians; marginalizing Muslims and indigenous groups in their homeland, with virtually the entire island of Mindanao handed over to the US companies Dole and Firestone for economic exploitation.

Since independence, there has been resistance by large segments of the Muslim population to national integration. Many feel, with just cause, that integration amounts to cultural and psychological genocide. The current uprising has been raging for the past 25 years killing more than 120,000 people. In 1987, the government granted certain levels of autonomy. Though The Moro Islamic Liberation Front, (MILF) to this day has refused to accept the accord.
Basilan is part of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), home to Abu Sayyaf and isolated more than ever from the rest of the country.

As I stepped off the boat at Isabela a man approaches me wearing army boots, trousers and a civilian shirt. “You must come with me,” he said “where?” I enquired, “Come, come!” he motions with his palm toward the floor.
I follow him up into the main street past a Mosque with a Humvee parked menacingly outside it, past crowds of inquisitive onlookers into a highly militarized compound where I am introduced to the Mayor of Isabela. He was delighted to see me… and showered me with food, drinks and gifts… What was my mission…Tourism??? Well then, he would provide me with a Jeep and a military escort to wherever I wanted to go! “You must visit the Mayor of Lamitan” he said, “I’ll call him and say you are coming, you can spend the night there or with me?”
I reluctantly declined, I had planned to visit for just the day since I still had no idea of what I would find, I wasn’t entirely sure if there were hotels and the weekly ship to my next destination Davao was leaving the following morning. I took the offer of a free ride and a military escort though;-)
My driver asks, “Where do you want to go?” “I don’t know, where IS there to go?” he shrugs his shoulders and then asks the rest of the armed escort crew… “How about the rubber plantation?” (That’ll be Firestone) “Err…well… Let’s just drive around eh, and if we see something nice I’ll jump out and take a look” So that is what we did. When I jumped out of the jeep four of them would escort me, and pretty soon a group of kids would be attracted to the spectacle of ‘Joe’ and his troops wandering aimlessly about town taking pictures (So if any of the people in my photos look a little confused, just remember there are umpteen kids and an armed guard hovering behind me at all times!).

The Yakan are the native tribe of Basilan, though the most exotic people I saw in Basilan without doubt were the Badjao, or Sea Nomads, who prefer to live in houseboats.
The atmosphere was electric and everywhere I looked my eyes were met with beaming smiles. I met many wonderful people who seemed delighted to see and talk with a foreigner who wasn’t dressed in military garb. Many of the people here speak Chavacano - which is approximately 70% Spanish, meaning in theory I could speak about 1.5% of the local lingo! My humble presence bought the whole town of Isabela to life that day, and I still kick myself I hadn’t planned to stay a few days.

The following day I took an overnight boat to Davao, and was introduced to the two cornerstones of Filipino culture, Karaoke and Tanduay Rum! Getting stuck into both, I still have a recurring flashback of me trying to explain to a group of equally inebriated Filipinos the meaning of ‘Champagne Supernova’!

Traveling through Mindanao, two things kept cropping up … ‘Iglesia ni Cristo’ churches - Carbon copies; small ones, medium ones and big ones…they are literally everywhere, identical in everyway but size (If Stalin were a Christian he would have built churches like this)…And orchards; Dole and Del Monte control half of Mindanao’s arable land, resulting in huge mind-boggling orchards, with soul-destroying rows it would take literally hours to walk down!

For the next week, I wandered around in the hills of Mindanao in search of some of the remaining indigenous tribes. Riding on the roofs of buses, and the back of motorbikes, I weaved my way through the green mountains, talking to people who were eager to learn and to tell, whilst regularly trying to convince them I wasn’t a missionary. It was heartening to see these diminishing tribes clinging precariously to their ancient ways against the onslaught of outside religions, ideologies, loggers, miners and global industrialists in the background of what is affectively a war-zone. With nations waging war to gain access to resources and economic markets, or to spread the right kind of ideology, the only reason these people still exist is because they are so benign and insignificant that they pose no threat. I always feel so honored to be able to see such people before their verdant cultural pockets of variety are consumed by the encroachment of contemporary desertification.

After talking to so many different tribal people and chasing terrified kids around villages with a camera, I was reminded so much of southern Sudan, where Christianity and Islam are so intermingled with the local indigenous religions, and where members of the same tribe and even family can profess to be of a different religion and nobody sees the harm in it.

Mindanao is a curious place; at times it felt like it’s close neighbor Indonesia across the sea, and yet the Latino/Catholic influence gave it a definite Central American feel and at times I felt like I wasn’t in Asia at all. Divide-and-rule has been played out down here for over a century. The government could easily defeat the radical elements that remain, if it so desired. But their very existence allows the government to hype the power of the Muslim insurgency and inflame the issue whenever they want to deflect the publics’ opinion away from other domestic issues. Besides which, the war attracts a large sum of Military Aid from The US, who in turn are able to prolong their presence in The Philippines under the flag of ‘War on Terror’.

I knew I had exited the ‘danger zone’ when I was mistaken for a surfer rather than a missionary by a tuk-tuk driver, and as I jumped out to buy my ticket for Siargao Island, I
T'Boli girlsT'Boli girlsT'Boli girls

Mindanao
saw my first fellow tourists for over two weeks. Seven it turned out…one of whom ran towards me in delirious delight, asking If I’d like to share a private charter boat to the island since the scheduled boat had already left. I agreed, the price seemed fair, but once we were ready to board the boat, the price began increasing. “Aren’t we supposed to be haggling the price down?” I offered passively, since it wasn’t my deal. “Don’t worry” the guy replied, “This is normal in Asia…I’ll take care of it...” he said brashly “...I’ve been to more than fifty countries!” … “Can I have one of those smokes mate” I replied. And that was the very moment I began smoking again - who says smoking kills? At that moment I believe it may have saved someone’s life;-) They continued haggling, the price continued to rise and we never did charter that boat…my mind drifted away from the unfolding debacle with the help of the Lonely Planet I borrowed from my new friend the travel expert. I was curious to read all about the places I had just been to and it seemed the guidebook wasn’t too keen on Mindanao
T'Boli womenT'Boli womenT'Boli women

Mindanao
‘…Warning…absolutely suicidal …Warning…imperative that you do not go…’ and Basilan of course was ‘strictly off limits’. Though my favorite entry by far was the reference to the T’boli tribe ‘Don't expect to see anyone wearing his or her traditional costumes’. I sat there puffing away like the Marlboro Man with a big smile on my face ‘who writes this stuff?’ I thought, I wanna buy them a drink!







Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 33


Advertisement

Bl'aan girlBl'aan girl
Bl'aan girl

Mindanao
check out the bling!check out the bling!
check out the bling!

Bracelets representing status
Gotcha!Gotcha!
Gotcha!

T'boli girl, Mindanao
playing hide and seekplaying hide and seek
playing hide and seek

T\'boli, Mindanao
Manobo girlManobo girl
Manobo girl

Lake Sebu, Mindanao


2nd March 2006

First of all, let me say you are a brave man. I am a Filipino born and raised in Mindanao, and now lives in the U.S., yet never visited Basilan for the reasons that you now know about :-) The division of Muslim and Christian Filipinos has been an issue for a very long time, and I think will not end. It's just like the Jews and the Palestinians. Mindanao culture is very diverse. You are lucky to see a few tribal people in their ethnic clothes - lonely planet is right actually right :-)
2nd March 2006

Awesome
Very cool! I would love to hear tips on how you travel and make your way. Did you stay with the 'mayor'? what other sorts of lodging did you find. Fab pictures!
2nd March 2006

Great info
I am just about to fly out to Mindanao to work for a couple of years so should get to know the place quite well. This is one of the only places I have found anything useful about this end of the Philippines. Like you say the guidebooks are all full of over the top warnings!
3rd March 2006

you've seen the south, see the north...
then you should see northern Philippines.... try Babuyan Islands or Pagudpud or even Vigan in Ilocos
3rd March 2006

Fascinating photographs
You must do an exhibition on these. Well done!
6th March 2006

I can feel your genuine interest in the people you meet in your travel in the Phils. I wish you a safe journey.
9th March 2006

Sounds like you almost got yourself into trouble. Did you ever feel unsafe in your journeys? You are way more ballsy (is that a word) than me.
20th March 2006

joe! :)
hi! i admire ur braveness,. im a Filipino and ive always wanted to go to mindanao. my grandmothers from there and she always tell us great stories about mindanao. they use to own lands there but unfortunately some group took that away from their family. its kinda sad because us filipinos are sometimes so racist because its not an issue here, and we dont care much about our own. anyway thanks for visiting mindanao. i hope you could visit us again. i believe that theres a lot to see in the Philippines. this is a great country, its just that some Filipinos dont notice that.
21st March 2006

WOW.
This is an incredibly illustrious and well-written blog. Your photographs are beautiful and incredibly inspiring. If you are at all interested, there is an awesome travel writing contest going on that I just heard about, that you can check out [this] here. Fantastic blog, I'll be sure to check back again soon!
16th April 2006

Been there, done that!!
Hi, great story, I spent a lot of time travelling around Mindanao-well off the beaten tourist path- and have never yet had any probs, just came back from Marawi to my Wife's home (near Maranding) and now having a well earned rest before we start off again for a 5 week stay on and around Mount Apo visiting more of my Wife's 'extended' family, hehe. Mindanao is a wonderful; place and it is now my main home, instead of the UK. Take care
19th April 2006

No surprise here
Great story. There are quite a number of foreign travellers in and out of the so-called 'problematic' areas in Mindanao but few make it to the blogs so there's nothing really surprising. In reality the locals are the most afraid to venture out in their own country because of what they 'heard'. Anyhow back to Mindanao charms, have you had any luck finding those pink sand beaches? Been searching for them too :)
19th April 2006

Pink beaches
Hi Lorraine, the beach you are looking for is called Santa Cruz (a fifteen minute boat ride from Zamboanga). Apparently the mixture of pulverized red organ-pipe coral it contains causes the pinkish sand colour. Hope your adventure makes it to the blogs;-)
10th May 2006

glad for your thrill-seeking visits to basilan n zamboanga
firstly, thanks for dropping by, zamboanga city was thoroughly been blacklisted from the foreigners/tourists, due to a series of misbehaviours shall i put it this way..nontheless, we got lots to offer just like any regions of the Philippines...It just saddened me, not to be able to extend personal assistance to your trip herein. Zamboanga City has its own beauty and tuna canning factories too...and the city's backdrop as u would have noticed, are greeneries from hills and mountains and fields of pala(rice), while u could face the sea calm in the evening by the boulevard right in the city....thanks though...
28th November 2006

Did it touch your heart?
Just read your journal at the airport in Hong Kong on my way home from Mindanao. I have just visited the Manobo tribes and many other places in Bukidnon for the last few weeks. Next year I will go there as a full time missionary. I always have wondered how Westerners that come to these places feel if they are 'not' missionaries but rather tourists. Do they also feel overwelmed with the poverty and exploitation of the people there or do they just see it as an amazing place? How I wish you could had meet some of the tribal people that has now changed their traditional spiritual lifestlyes full of fear of what the spirits may do to them to a life full of love and joy. As these people recieve Jesus into their lives they start to care for their families and fellow villagers in a new way -naturally without any outside promting. No longer do they continue to kill each others animals in revenge or even family members. Their lives actually do become so much better in so many aspects. Did you know that their sicknesses leaves and their healths improves? The Christians that take the trouble to reach them allows them to continue to keep their culture but they themselves change some things for a better life. Oh, I really hope that you one day will get the chance to see with your own eyes they amazing changes that Jesus has done for so many in Mindanao!! May you have many more great travel experiences in the future!
8th December 2006

this, by far, is my favorite travel blog EVER. as a filipino growing up in suburban manila, even we've been brainwashed by the media to avoid stepping foot in southern mindanao, what more someone who looks completely foreign? i recently did a documentary in the depths of compostella valley and my father was trying to talk me out of it until i got on the plane to depart manila... i met the most incredible people in mindanao, who did not have 1/16th of what i consider comfort yet they had a certain sparkle in their eyes i've never seen from anyone living in the city, an unspoken contentment.
9th December 2006

Hi
You my dear, are inspiring! I can't believe you went to Basilan. I'm actually ashamed of myself for never ever thinking of going there because of all the terrorist hype... but what the hell... I'l put that on my to go list. I also found your commentaries about my country's predicaments interesting and painfully true.
23rd February 2007

Mindanao is not that dangerous
Thanks for the courage and for proving to the world that Mindanao is not that dangerous...I am from Mindanao, I grew up here and though I will be studying in Singapore for the next 3 years, I will still go back to the Philippines especially in Mindanao to share what I will learn...My reason: Mindanao is rich...rich in culture and the arts...anybody's travel to my wonderful place is worth it...not only because of the warm smiles...but the whole experience itself;-) NAMASTE!
4th April 2007

Racism
Having been raised in the Philippines a Protesant, I know that the predominantly Catholic people can say some baseless things about people of other religions. I know it's even worse for those who believe in Islam than for non-Catholic Christians. But I don't think that the warnings they gave you about going to Basilan were "racist" against Muslims. That's because I think they were trying to warn you about Abu Sayyaf, not about Muslims. Perhaps they should have been more specific when warning you, but it may also have been their reluctance to delve into details. And tourists do need to be informed -- it may be riskier for them to actually go to tourist areas (because of Abu Sayyaf) than to go to Basilan and learn about the rich Islamic heritage of the Philippines. I think you had a great experience -- I would hope that you would see the warnings you got from non-Muslims in the north as a genuine attempt to look out for your well-being and a warning about Abu Sayyaf (they really do kill and kidnap tourists, though not as frequently as the media would make it seem) and not as racist comments against Muslims.
21st May 2007

Basilan
the next time you go there let me know, I was born and raised in Basilan but residing long time in U.S. I was there last year, we have some rubber trees and still planting now for the future generation. There are muslims living in our land but they never hurt us, in fact they are the one who protects us, more than the Christians. I will be traveling this year there to take a look at our agricultural lands (rubber trees) wanna come.. It is not really scary as you may think if you know the culture. Basilenos do not like arrogant people. Wasalam.
31st August 2007

Thank you :-)
Thank you joe.. i can use your blogs pic on our presentation exam...
31st August 2007

land unvailed
just happened on this blog as im going to visit mindanao at christmas time. since reading this you have given me the best insight i could have to life in this beautifull and (to me) mysterious country i must have that sense of adventure like yourself as from reading this i just cant wait to get over there now
12th June 2008

Well Done Mr
24th July 2008

Who writes those stuff from LP?
Obviously, people who just sit in front of their computer and research everything on the internet...unlike someone like you experiencing things firsthand. Let's buy LP a few round of drinks and help them have the balls to go to such places. Bravo to you...keep on blogging. And keep on traveling. Great shots!
29th August 2008

Tanduay
Just one minor point, Tanduay is a brandy, not a rum but I do not blame the author for the mistake, as it more resembles whiskey in colour and odor than any brandy I have ever seen.
31st January 2011
Manobo or 'mixed tribe' women

ang gaganda nila
hinaopt ,ausab ilang mga nawong

Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 49; qc: 187; dbt: 0.2617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.9mb