The day the villagers went out to swim


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Marinduque
June 28th 2012
Published: June 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As the sun goes down in Bunganay, MarinduqueAs the sun goes down in Bunganay, MarinduqueAs the sun goes down in Bunganay, Marinduque

One day in a year fisherfolks of this village and their families go out to swim together.
For once, all of the fisherfolks of this well-known fishing village of Bunganay in Boac, Marinduque parked their vessels on the shore, nobody ventured out to fish. This happened on the feast of San Juan Bautista. St. John, the Baptizer on June 24th. But it was for a good reason. San Juan is not the village patron saint but every year, men, women and children look forward to this day as the only time of year when the whole community gets together, to have fun on their beach, swimming, eating, drinking, laughing and enjoying their togetherness.

A day or so before this barangay leaders, youth organizations and fishing cooperatives hold an informal meeting just to check who should bring drinks, who should prepare the food such as pansit, palabok, siniroy, niyubak, macaroni soup, cook fish, etc.

The feast of St. John has always been a water-dousing day, but here, they decided to change it by going to the beach and immersing themselves in the waters. More fun, with no victims cursing anyone for the unexpected pail of water thrown at them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Boys togetherBoys together
Boys together

Boys together, girls together, fathers together, mothers together and grannies together.
BunganayBunganay
Bunganay

The day was fortunatey sunny on the feast of St. John the Baptist.
Bunganay EstuaryBunganay Estuary
Bunganay Estuary

Where river water meets the sea, this time it was low tide and the stream has narrowed.
VIllage folks swimmingVIllage folks swimming
VIllage folks swimming

They've decided that instead of dousing water on innocent victims as the tradition on the feast of St. John, it would be more fun and meaningful to troop to the beach and immerse themselves in the sea together the whole day. For a change.
Sunset in Bunganay.Sunset in Bunganay.
Sunset in Bunganay.

This is the view of sunset from Bunganay on that happy day.
Boys have funBoys have fun
Boys have fun

Frolicking boys, making pranks, laughing out loud.
Bunganay beachBunganay beach
Bunganay beach

It's a pebble beach strewn with crushed corals, empty seashells, and shards.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb