Manila - day 1


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Landed in Manila earlier this afternoon. Everything positive I had to say about taxis in Singapore, I now take back. Saying they drive poorly here is an understatement. Traffic rules don't seem to apply, neither do they have traffic lights or seat belts. Terrifying. The situation in this city is harder to grasp than Singapore, the poverty here shows everywhere, even just outside the hotel. After check in (we hadn't pre booked, just took a shot at a Best Western Hotel which turned out to have a few rooms available) we went for a look at Mall of Asia and had something to eat, and now we're back at the hotel bar. Tomorrow it's Christmas eve (the day we celebrate in Sweden) and we haven't got any plans yet, except for logging on to a computer in the evening to watch the annual Kalle Ankas Julafton (a Swedish tv show).

The 25th or 26th we're going up to Pagsanjan waterfalls, for rafting, and on he 27th we leave for Boracay Island.

Advertisement



23rd December 2009

hope you will have a great time in the Philippines... hope you could see all the beautiful spot in our country el nido, coron, sagada, bohol, boracay and so much more.... :)
28th December 2009

in behalf of the filipino people we thnk you for your visit in the philippines...due to the fact that philippines is in the thirld world country it sad to say that poverty is all around..even manila as they say is the city of slums...but i would like to reiterate that even in great cities of the world there are even worse situation than manila..and i must say india,specifically new delhi when i have the chance to have a stop over there and i cant even believe my eyes the vastness of the slums at the perimeter of the airport,which you cant see happen in the philippines. these are the stereotypes they are branding about the philippines and not seeing the other countries which is worse than manila.....anyway enjoy your stay and may the hospiality of the people will serve you.no offense with my comment just pointing out because of the european especially british saying negative things in media about the philippines.i dont know where they are getting their sentiments.happy new year!!!!!
1st January 2010

To Novie
Thank you for commenting, I understand that the situation is a lot worse in many other countries around the world. This just put relations and every day life in a new perspective for me, as to never having seen it before. The hospitality of the filipinos is beyond words, everyone (and I mean everyone!) is so friendly and welcoming here. Sad to hear the europeans speak ill of the Philippines based on politics and economics, when, from a tourists prespective, it should be a matter of hospitality, which I would never have any complaints about. Hopefully I can return to the country in a couple of years again, because I just love it here! Happy New Year and take care!
1st January 2010

To Mel
We've heard a lot of great things about El Nido and are planning on going to Palawan, next time we visit the Philippines, as well as coming back here to Boracay (where we are right now), 'cause we just love it. Thanks for the comment, take care!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb