QUIAPO: Heritage Treasures in Manila


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Manila » Quiapo
February 5th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Skipping Manila? I know .... the sun and sand beckons in the beaches of Boracay. There's serious diving in Palawan. You long to breathe the mountain air in Baguio and Benguet, or simply go completely rustic in the northermost part of the country in Batanes. Or maybe you want to try your surfboards in Siargao or even check out the tarsiers and chocolate hills in Bohol. For many, it's the heritage... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Old Paco Train StationOld Paco Train Station
Old Paco Train Station

This was almost torn down if not for the efforts and protests of heritage preservation and conservation groups in manila.
Brunelleschi's First CommissionBrunelleschi's First Commission
Brunelleschi's First Commission

This is Ospedale degli Innocenti‎ (1419–ca.1445), or Foundling Hospital, his very first contract, which inspired the design of La Gota de Leche.
Recognition of Restoration Work Recognition of Restoration Work
Recognition of Restoration Work

The charity project takes all the credit, with some help from Architect Villalon whose passion and dedication to conservation projects is truly commendable.



9th February 2011

I must admit that I've lived all my life in Manila and yet I haven't been to these landmarks. I didn't even know these places are in Quiapo, which for me is just a place where one can: (1) buy cameras and photography equipment (at R. Hidalgo); (2) buy pirated DVDs; (3) buy all sorts of gemstones, semi-precious stones, pearls, native crafts; and of course, (4) see the Quiapo Church and get a palm reading from fortune tellers. Great post! It's like something I'd read in the lifestyle section of a magazine.
9th February 2011

I really enjoyed this blog
I have not made it to the Philippines yet but hope to.
9th February 2011
Shot taken from the Choir Area

I absolutely love this picture!
9th February 2011

Another great blog and I LOVE your pictures!
9th February 2011

Went to school in Mendiola and detest having to go to Quiapo too. But this blog showed the amazing stuff in Manila often masked by the dirty and chaotic facade of the city. Very nice read Tita Lili !!!
9th February 2011

Manila Viejo
Wonderful blog! I read and re-read it several times. As a native born and bred Manileno, all the place names in this article have a nostaligic resonance for me, except one place cited that I never knew existed. Thanks for the coverage of Bahay Nakpil which I will certainly visit next time I'm in Manila. Such places should b e preserved for future generations and the surrounding areas cleaned up and maintained properly.
10th February 2011

You have the most interesting information! I definitely will visit these places when I have a few days to spare in Manila ( I always do). Thanks for giving me ideas of places to revisit. I love to visit old homes to see how poeple of those past times lived. Will make sure to go to your blog before I come!! Thannks again!!
15th February 2011

Delicious Veggie Food in Manila!
As I’m sure many of you are longing for a nice sunny vacation on the beaches in the Philippines, make sure to stop for a day or two in the capital, Manila, to try out some amazing vegetarian dining. I can testify that the Tofu Walnut Burger at Corner Tree Café in Makati Village is a must-have. Check out this link for more information http://www.petaasiapacific.com/feature-VegEatingInThePhilippines.asp!
28th March 2011

i love this post! i always wanted to visit some uncommon places in manila. i definitely will visit some of these in july. thank you for sharing and nice pictures!
25th January 2012
160 year old house

questions??
does anyone know who is the owner of the house?? and do you have article about this 160 years old house?? i'l just use for research study.. thanks for those who will reply.. god bless you..^_____^v

Tot: 0.677s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 47; qc: 188; dbt: 0.2s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb