Easter island


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Malapascua Island
August 6th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Malapascua Island is only a 30 minute boat ride from Maya but making that short journey means avoiding a couple of tedious scams, which fortunately we'd read about. On arriving at the dock, a guy immediately attempted scam number 1, saying there were only 2 other passengers wanting to go to the island, and the boat wouldn't leave until there were 24 people on board, so maybe we'd like to hire a b... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




10th September 2007

Difference in Experience
Sorry to hear you won't be returning back to the Philippines. Erik [blogger=esaav22] and Oded/Romi [blogger=odedromi] seemed to have enjoyed their stay in the Philippnes immensely having completely different experience than yours. What is it that makes people look at things and places differently ?
10th September 2007

Re anonymous comment
The fun part of travelling is that every journey is unique, as there are so many variables involved (people, weather, food, etc, not to mention your own expectations, likes, dislikes, etc) That uniqueness means that it's difficult to compare two people's experiences of a place, as you are rarely comparing like for like.
10th September 2007

Philippines is not Backpacker Friendly
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Philippines. I think the may goal of the Philippines Tourism Department to to target the Family Holiday Seekers, family that seeks luxury away from home, that's why the better places in the Philippines are more expensive and touristy turning backpackers away. It's a shame to admit but I think the mentality is there is more money to be had by targetting families and jetsetting type tourist than catering to backpackers who don't spend teh big bucks. The DOT should seriously re think their strategy and start putting up the infra for travelers on a budget as well. Heck, infrastructure should be improved no matter what.
10th September 2007

Visit more islands
I've read all your posts about the Philippines since you stepped into Clark. I appreciate your honesty in writing your travel journal. Hopefully, if you have more time and energy, you could perhaps go back to the Philippines and go to our beaches in Palawan, Siargao (September's surfing competition), Sohoton Cove, Boracay, Camiguin, etc... In my honest opinoin, the beauty of my country is in its remote islands. Feel free to browse through my posts in my local travels. Hopefully, it could convince you to come back someday. Enjoy!
12th September 2007

RE: Pinoy's Comment
I agree...Philippines' Tourism Industry (DOT) is not YET catered for backpackers on a budget. You really need to spend a bit more for a nice accommodation and activities (ie. water sports). Food is generally cheap though. According to my friends who travelled in other SE asian countries, Philippines is definitely more expensive. But you'll really enjoy it if you can splurge in its beautiful remote islands. Have a safe and happy journey !...cheers !

Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 34; qc: 154; dbt: 0.2822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb