10 Hours of Travelling for 20 Minutes of Wonder


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon
January 29th 2012
Published: January 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

For the second week of the Spring Festival break, I've headed to the Philippines with some friends. Before heading to Boracay to laze on a beach and drink too many margaritas, we headed out of Manila to trek Mount Pinatubo and see the crater lake that formed after it's eruption in 1991.

It was a long day to get to the crater. We woke at 4:30 a.m. to drive 2.5 hours out of Manila, to then take a 1 hour jeep ride (an extremely bumpy, bruise-inducing, thank-god I took anti-nausea medicine jeep ride), and a 2 hour trek across the mountain. We then arrived at the crater, enjoyed it for a while, and then repeated the trip in reverse (but add in pouring rain for parts of each leg).

Was it worth the 10+ hour journey, there and back, to see?

Absolutely.

As the pictures I've posted show, Mount Pinatubo is one of those places in the world that make you speechless. What's most amazing about it is that the crater has only existed for 20 years. That something so beautiful can still come into existence today, with everything we have done to the earth is pretty awesome. I think we need to take it as a reminder of what this planet could be if we stopped screwing with it so much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Crow Valley 1Crow Valley 1
Crow Valley 1

We rode across crow valley in a jeep - the dirt/sand is actually ash left over from Mount Pinatubo's eruption in 1991.
Crow Valley 7Crow Valley 7
Crow Valley 7

Two little boys and their dog were sitting in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere watching the jeeps full of tourists go by. Every so often on the ride we would spot a hut, one of which is probably their home.


6th February 2012

That looks incredible!
Well your volcano did definitely out bid my cocktails!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb