Finally There!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Luzon » Metro Manila » Makati City
December 14th 2007
Published: December 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phill's ApartmentPhill's ApartmentPhill's Apartment

This is his front window

Finally in the Philippines



It is so beautiful here in a National Geographic way. I love soaking it all in. Reading travel books seems so hollow now. There are so many people everywhere. People drive like they line up. If you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough is like their national motto. It is hard to express in words what it is like. In the states you would say Phill lives in the Ghetto. It is pretty normal here though. All the apartments are stacked together. There are always people everywhere, cars everywhere. It was dark when we got to Phill's apartment so we couldn't see much.

My little brother Phillip served a mission for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, for two years in the Philippines. Right before he was to come home he met a girl and then maintained contact with her after he came home. He has now come back to get married to said girl. When they met she lived in another part of the Philippines. Now she lives in Makati, which is a part of Metro Manilla. The largest city in the Philippines. The engagement happend really fast and now the preperations for the wedding are being shoved into about a two week time period. Did I mention that when my brother want something, he does whatever it takes to make it happen as soon as possible? It kinda scared us all but he prayed about it and felt that it is right. Since meeting Chona, I believe him. I don't think it will be easy for them, but that is what makes love stories beautiful. So my dad and me came to the Philippines to take part in all the craziness and to be here for Phillip and Chona's wedding.

Back to the trip: Phill's Apartment

It is a few houses down from Chona's family. First you walk through a gate to get into a lane of apartments. Phill's is the first apt. on your left. There are three rooms and a bathroom. The walls are painted blue. Their front door is a locked gate, through which is the kitchen. It consists of a counter and a sink. Phill says the water from the tap is probably not drinkable so we have a big containter of distilled water with a spout. There is a hot
The AlleyThe AlleyThe Alley

This is the alley you enter to go to phill's apt
plate and a gas stove. We need to buy propane. The next room is a living room/ dinning room. Phill has a fridge and a table in here. Off of this room is the bathroom. The whole bathroom also serves as a shower. It is a smart space saver. The shower is actually pretty nice. It is a handheld shower head attached to a small water heater. You stand over the toilet and the water washes down a drain behind the toilet. Needless to say the floor is most always wet. The toilet works well and there is a small sink. Instead of a mirror there is a small window into the kitchen. Also off of the dinning room is the bedroom. Phill has a bed and a plastic dresser. We will all be sleeping in this room because that is where the air con is. That is what filipinos call airconditioning. We were very tired and went to bed pretty much right away. Dad and me brought air mattresses, blankets and pillows.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Dad at the DoorDad at the Door
Dad at the Door

The door that leads from the kitchen to the rest of the apt.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb