Davao


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Davao del Norte
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bird GardensBird GardensBird Gardens

Some very good looking birds here
Florita and I left for Davao on Saturday morning, Dicky's driver picked us up in Dicky's new car, he got it the day before and hadn't even ridden in it himself. The plane was due to depart at 10.30am however it was delayed and didn't leave until 12.45pm, only 2 hrs and 15 minutes late - not bad for PAL (Practically Always Late). It was an Airbus and pretty full probably due to the school holidays that have just started here. Tito (Uncle) Pal, Tita (Aunty) Amy and Joey met us at the airport. I went with Joey and on the way to his house we called in to meet his partner Shine, they have a Salon that Shine manages. That night we had a barbeque at Joeys, the chicken was great along with Tuna, a Sashimi type dish, Pancit Canton and rice. It was a nice family get together and a good chance for me to say hello to some of Eleanor's cousins - Popsey and her husband Shahruddin, Maling and her husband Phillip and Nino.
Sunday was a pretty full day; after breakfast Joey, Maling and I went to Malagos Garden Bird Park, we were just in time for the bird show that featured a wide variety of Eagles, Parrots, Kytes, ducks and other birds. One of the highlights was a basketball game between two big parrot type birds. After the bird park we met up with Tito Pal, Tita Amy and Florita and continued onto the Philippines Eagle Centre. These birds are the second larget Eagles in the world with a wing span of over 1 metre, a fully grown bird weighs about 7 kilograms. They have them housed in large enclosures and have been able to breed them in captivity, the Eagles are quite rare with only about 400 pairs remaining in the jungles. After looking at the Eagles we had a picnic lunch - prawns, roast chicken, tuna sandwiches, noodles and rice.
We left the Eagle Centre after lunch and then visited a crocodile farm, they had lot's of crocs and we timed it well as the crocodile dancing show was just about to begin. Large chunks of meat were dangled above the crocs head, the crocs had to jump about 1.5 to 2 metres to get the meat, it was quite spectacular watching the crocs jump for the meat. After that they fed the crocs
Some of my  Davao RelativesSome of my  Davao RelativesSome of my Davao Relatives

From the right - Tito Pal, Maling, your's truly, Tita Amy and Mummy Boy
including one huge old fella that was 65 years old. Dinner last night was at Tito Pal's.
Today I watched some cricket on the cable TV, booked a white rafting trip for Saturday (Apple will go with me) and visited Tita Benny. Tomorrow I take a day tour to the Pearl Farm with Nino; later in the week we'll be spending a few days on Samal Island at the farm. That's all for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Big CrocBig Croc
Big Croc

This big fella was 65 years old


4th April 2006

I'm jealous
Dear Glen, Glad to hear your having a great time, nothing has changed here. I went to Queensland last week for a conference which was o'k, it was at Couran Cove on the Gold Coast. Dave is still painting the house, although most of the hard work is done and he should finish shortly. Mum is o'k and Rita and I will be seeing her today at lunchtime. That's all for now, continue to have a great time. Regards Jmmo
4th April 2006

I was so curious to see what pictures you will post, considering I haven't been there in 30 years. I don't think they had Garden Bird Park, nor the Eagle Park back then. I love the surroundings. . . it feels relaxing and peaceful. I envy you for all the good food you've been eating especially the Sashimi style tuna!!! Say Hi to my cousins/uncles and aunties, and of course to Mommy dearest!
5th April 2006

You've been to more places than I have!
My goodness! All those beautiful sights and sounds to see in Davao and to think I have been there at least 5 times and never been to see the bird and croc shows. Next time around, you should be my tourist guide. Take care and see you here very soon. Of course, everyone is now eagerly awaiting Eleanor's and the kids arrival. Take care.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb