Weekend at Samal Island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Davao del Norte » Samal Island
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!
We are still on the island of Samal. The small paradise island where the more fortunate people of Philippines and Davao go to enjoy a day in the weekends. We have notice the fact as the resort got invaded by locals to celebrate a day with their families enjoying sun, bath and some food. The few of us staying at the resort was aware of the crowd already by breakfast. Like Germans they had already occupied the sun-chairs on the beach and by noon we stood there as two misguided tourists asking ourselves where to go. To the reception! Off we went. We kindly asked if we as hotel-guests were to wake up 6 am to secure on of the sun-chairs? The five nice clerks immediately called for assistance. Two members of the beach-staff turned up and asked if we necessarily wanted chairs in front of the restaurant?
“Not if you have other options” we replied. They shined up and told us to follow. After a walk of maybe 200 meters we ended up at a private area with tables, sun-chairs and signs telling that this was reserved. We couldn’t believe it. There, at this crowded resort we got ourselves a private area with a private beach. The resort had a total of four beaches being divided with piers. So the beach at the outskirt of the resort was probably for guests needing privacy. As you all can imagine we enjoyed the situation and spend the whole day under the canvas, still managed to get burned. Maybe it was because of all the dipping in the water in combination with “I don’t need sun-lotion because I’m under some thick canvas!” Well I guess the sun reflect from water as well!

Sunday, and still having breakfast in the resort. Today we wanted to see something else. So we took a walk outside the premises after being cleared by the security. We headed north of the island walking in 35 dgr. sunshine. People passed us riding bikes, cars, tricycles and busses probably wondering if we where even more poor as they have ever been.
After 3-4 km. we couldn’t walk anymore. We didn’t reach any goal. It was nothing but road, palm-trees, jungle and some people living close to the road. We finally stalled a tricycle and asked if we could have a lift to the next village. He smiled. “How much?” we asked. But the answer was difficult to understand. So we hopped on and hoped that our economy could bear the risk taking. Five minutes later, after a small sightseeing beyond the village and than back to the centre, we ended up paying 25 cent. The extra kilometre was to search for some shopping-mall initiated by Berit. He stopped by a school-centre, a gas-station and some Jehovah witnesses centre, but at that moment we pointed towards the village we already passed through.

We crossed the street to buy some sweet bread. A boy followed us asking for money. He was dirty, with filthy cloths and sad eyes. I suggested that we could give him some bread instead of money. So we bought an extra an offered it to him. He turned us down. He only wanted money. After a while he run across the street, into a small store and talked with a women appearing to be his mother. Probably he was only on a mission to collect money for his family, and nothing else was interesting for him.

I can imagine that in a society like this different kind of people are created. The survival of the fittest is not only in the world of animals but also among people. They use the whole skill (or availability) in their families to gain as much as possible. We may think it’s strange but we do not have to cross any boarders to find out this fact. Is it not this greed that has created the present finance-crises? With a little concern about our neighbour we would have had a better world.

Well, we eat our “bulle” sweat bread and walked around this small village. “Hey, look, a shop with cloths” Berit suddenly said. As a polite man I followed her into the store, only to find out they sold used items. And it became worse. As we walked along people proposed us to buy all kinds of merchandise. We found an alley leading down to the see. At the shore there was a marketplace for fish. Oh, my, what a smell. We thought first it was a marked of fish not being sold. But people were buying. In Sweden we would have been calling it for “surströmming”. Back to the main road feeling a bit uncomfortable with all the people trying to sell something to us. Remember; I was walking around with a digital HD-video-camera and many of these people compared having one with “rich American”. So we negotiated with a tricycle-guy and we agreed upon 90 cent for the 5 km back to our secure resort. The tricycle-guy asked what that thing was as he has never seen on in real life.

We were allowed to enter the resort telling the two guards that we belong to the resort. They had no problems believing us. Two hours left of the day and we hurried to the beach to squeeze the maximum out of this Sunday. Three hours later we were having a relaxing massage at the sound of the waves and some bird singing a quiet hymn somewhere in the darkness. Or it could be one of the hundreds birds keep in caves in the resort. I think the resort are trying to show what the Island can offer without risking the guest leaving for a investigation of their own. I think we and the birds have the same feeling. Why can’t we move freely, and why do we have to eat what you are serving?

It was our last nigh at the resort. I ordered a sea-basket. The most extravagance offer in the menu. It was costing a fortune; 4,5 €, and big enough for two. I was not disappointed. But Berit, not to happy with local speciality ordered Spaghetti Carbonara. We were of course entertained by our quartet singing feet’s away from our table. We once again paid them off, and we could enjoy the rest of the evening quietly.

We would consider coming back if the resort did something about the internet-connection, having Star Sport as they announces, and sending some staff to learn about drinks, cocktails and wine. Would you pay 20,- € for a 2,- € wine holding 30-thy something degrees? And only be able to chose from, yes; red or white? And please place the nice and cosy quartet on a fix stage or something, not going around and beg for money. We finally learned that a Euro was enough to have them play 3 songs. It’s not about money but Principe. And Owner of the resort; what about having a pool in the middle of your beautiful Garden. No water? Well, pump it from the sea, through a filter and back again. You have yourself a salt-water-pool.

Tomorrow (today) we are once again heading back to the Project-House. Four houses/projects has been computerdrawed, and I can already start with the presentation when I meat Mr. EmEm. The most exciting project is the One-day-house or miracle-house. A small house in elements for poor people, taking one day to build with a cost of 1.600,-€.

Se you next time on the same channel and with the same signature!

Berit&Alf



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb