Must Go Back in Camiguin


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Cagayan De Oro
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Camiguin really was a fun place. Unpolluted air, fresh food, lush surroundings, cemented road and vast sea all around.The lush plants around the island have been fertiled by several volcanoes within it and the most familiar is the Mt. Hibok-hibok where PHILVOLCS established a station. In Naasag, where we stayed, the hot water there springing out into the sea comes from what they call the Old Volcano. The lush plants around the island enriched the fauna and I noticed several endemics birds there and the one I was familiar with was the small woodpecker flying near our place. There were also a number of geckos, aside from their usual sound, hearing them with a sound like laughing made me forget that their scary to look at.

The fresh water seems unlimited that the government just have to attach pipes from the mountains passing through houses. Each household only pays one peso for their monthly water bill. But the electricity was the expensive utility for the Camiguinons because it still comes from Cagayan de Oro with the lines tucked underwater going to the island. Since renewable energy is now the "in" thing, the government of Camiguin have a lot of options: geothermal, hydropower, solar, wind and tidal.

I was pleased to see that the local government have programs for each barangay communities where they have tourist spots. It was organized. Like going to the White Island in Mambajao, fishermen's boat there have assigned numbers. There was a counter to pay for the boat and the environmental fee and each boat has a maximum capacity of strictly six persons. As for the other barangays, those with spring pools, communities there were provided with jobs and have stores around it. I saw going around that there was one recovery facility in every barangay because Camiguinons segregate and recycle their waste. With an island with somehow organized tourism, I think I am now hopeful with the booming of eco-tourism in the Philippines.

The only downfall for me was cell signals was hard outside the town proper. But as they say, once we're in the island we're on vacation so leave the signals to the city and enjoy.

The latest right now, we can reach the island with less time travel coming in by plane from Cebu for a minimum of almost a thousand pesos one way. I am still going back and it will be my third time going there and when that happens I will be exploring the island's dive sites.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb