Boracay hype is real


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Boracay
March 30th 2009
Published: June 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There was the still the slight chill of winter as we left Osaka for the Philippines. Thus, the humidity in Manila was a bit uncomfortable. But nonetheless, all is well as we drove up to the cool mountain of Tagaytay as soon as we arrived. There we stayed overnight, viewed the Taal Volcano and Lake, dinner at Jospehines and called it a day. The next morning we passed by the Good Sheperd convent on our way down to Manila. The convent is famous for its delicacies so we bought coconut pie and ube jam. This would eventually be our lunchas we wont have enough time to eat before our flight to Boracay.

From Tagaytay we went to Intramuros. Checked out San Agustin Basilica a World Heritage site, which is a baroque church reminiscent of Spanish colonial occupation. I think the place has detoriorated a lot from what I can remember from my numerous school trips to this Church. But my wife and my co-teacher from Japan enjoyed the museum and the quaint little history it provides. Although her daughter looked like she just watched a grotesque scene from "SAW", having seen so many statues of bloodied or dead Jesus Christ. She wanted out already when she realized there was another floor that we have yet to see.

After our trip to the museum we have to rush to our flight to Caticlan - - - to the much hyped Boracay. I was a bit anxious going to Boracay. It was paradise when I saw Borcay 10 years back. Sustainable development is not in the vocubulary of our government officials. The fame of Boracay Im sure is being used for quick money, without regard for its long-time protection.

I was relieved Boracay is still beautiful and not overly developed from the area we stayed at which is at Boat Station 1. The accomodation are bit pricey,but you get to be at the best beach and the area is not crowded and surprisingly tranquil. We stayed at Sur BEach Resort, nice beach front location with cabana and bar, service is great, the rooms are of basic design. The breakfast buffet was simply deligtful. the best longganisa (Philippine sausage) ever!

Walk a kilometer down Boat Stations 2 and 3, then you would see what a mess these over development has done to the place. It was so crowded with people and establishments and aesthetics is definitely out of the resort owners' minds. In this part of the beach its quick profit at the expense of nature. The beach is covered with green algae.

But its not all bad, the 4 km stretch of Boracay powdery white sand is still an amazing sight. The food although a bit pricey were superb. I highly recommend the buffet at Sea Wind and desserts at Lemon Cafe Although our best meal was when I asked my uncle who runs a small resort on the other part of the island to prepare a sea food buffet for us. We had lobsters, crabs and shrimps galore!

It is also worth your while to visit the private cove at Fairways and Blue Waters and spa treatment at Nami.

All in all, This is probably the most relaxing vacation me and my wife had in a long time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb