Paradise!


Advertisement
Asia » Philippines » Boracay
October 10th 2006
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As a result of the timing, a national Korean holiday known as Chusuk (similar to Thanksgiving) happened to fall on the weekdays, meaning I had the whole week off! My friend Jenny and I planned a trip to Boracay to take advantage of this rare holiday. MANILA We arrived in Manila on Sunday afternoon and rode a company taxi into the main city. FYI for future travelers en route to Manila, metered ta... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Planning our getawayPlanning our getaway
Planning our getaway

Not exactly the Shangri-La Hotel, but aint bad for $12! This is the night Jenny and I planned our day in Manila (before we abandoned Ace)
JeepneyJeepney
Jeepney

Jeepneys are leftover US military jeeps from World War II and now they are one of the main forms of inexpensive public transportation around the city.
Muy Calienta!Muy Calienta!
Muy Calienta!

It didn't hurt that the manager looked this cute!
The lead singer is only 15!The lead singer is only 15!
The lead singer is only 15!

A huge part of Phillipine culture revolves around music. We ended up befriending this band
In Caticlan, in front of our small charter planeIn Caticlan, in front of our small charter plane
In Caticlan, in front of our small charter plane

The inside had to be the ghettoest I've seen... cracks on the inner window!
The highest point of BoracayThe highest point of Boracay
The highest point of Boracay

We actually climbed over a rail to get to this closed off area, and older tourists were saying, "Wow, the things you can do when you're young." Hhahahaa...
Sand castleSand castle
Sand castle

I had to take it from afar to avoid the "photo-taking fee"
Their idea of recycling?Their idea of recycling?
Their idea of recycling?

This is the other side of the island, which is less developed. The kids are aborigines of the island
Dr. GraceDr. Grace
Dr. Grace

I love this backdrop
Life is goodLife is good
Life is good

Can I just stay here forever?



18th January 2007

good to hear you had a great time in boracay. FYI, jeepneys are actually manufactured like that in the philippines, although the original concept evolved from the wartime american-made jeeps. also, there are many restaurant choices in manila. but this being your first trip and without the recommendations on where to go for eats, you didn't find them! too bad... also, filipinos speak english as it is thought in schools, patterned after the US educational system; the country was a colony of the US for 3Osome yrs. so people, speak english albeit some more than others..not because tagalog has limited vocabulary!!!!
18th January 2007

PS..people go to malls for various reasons other than shop. to hang out, enjoy the airconditioning, dining etc commonly, pedestrian attractions such as food courts, bookstores, groceries and non-branded or less costly merchandise stores are in the most trafficed levels(lower) and the boutiques and high end shops are in the upper levels. have lived in LA, paris, san francisco and nyc, and you never find high end strores in the less fashionable/upmarket area. same marketing ideas in malls! so it isn't about segregation of classes as you think.
23rd January 2007

Thanks for the insightful explanations, Mikel. Even we, readers of this blog, have our minds set aright to observations that may not be truly accurate and even puts the country and its people under a rather unflattering light.
26th January 2007

To Mikel
I appreciate your comments and perhaps I would have enjoyed Manila a little more if you had been our tour guide. But I was there only enroute to Boracay, so perhaps it didn't get my full attention, hence my blog is specific to Boracay. My friend and I made it good with some locals and accepted their offer of dining with them and the stuff we tried was not my thing. I'm sure there are others who will appreciate it. And yes, there are many restaurant choices, but the only good food my friend and I had were at the places serving foreign dishes. And the stuff about their vocab... well, I heard it from them. I didn't think twice to question it, considering the credibilty of the source!
11th February 2007

I wanna go back!
I had the day off today, and decided to look over all your pictures and blogs from your previous trip up till now. Grace I envy you so much, and I wish I was there next to you. Thinking about all the fun we had in the philippines makes me want to go and experience the world even more. Out of reading all your blogs LaO seems like a place that I would really love to go to. I love your expressions, and I look forward to reading all of your updates. I love you girl and I hope to see you soon!
9th April 2007

Making me miss the motherland!!
Grace!! first let me say.. u look fucking hot mama!! tell me your secrets..hehe looking at your pics and reading your blog of the pinas is making me wanna jump ship and swim over there. I haven't been since i was 7 so i'm long overdue. your pics and blogs are great!! live the life girl and shine your light!
2nd March 2009

Thanks
Hi! thanks for the comment. I miss the Philippines too specially the beaches.boracay is nice.Take care!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb