boracay island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Boracay
November 10th 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

boracay island was a very pleasant change from manila. almost everyone i talked to had only good things to say about it. i thought it would be too touristy and the beaches would not be everything that they have been famed to be. i was wrong. luckily, i arrived one month before the tourist season starts there, so there was only a small crowd of people. the main destination there is white beach. it is a huge stretch of powder white sand and crystal clear water. it is also where almost all the bars and nightlife is. very good food there too. it is more expensive there than the rest of the philippines, but still very budget friendly for US standards. the people there were very kind and there was a mix from around the world. i was able to make friends from taiwan, singapore, and many from the island. i spent one week there. i chose to stay on diniwid beach. it is just a short walk north of the main strip and is much more secluded. if you are ever in the area and are interested in staying there, you can email Sabine Defant at sabinedefant@hotmail.com. it is a very small hotel, so if it's booked, she can also give advice of other places to stay too.

the only downside is the lack of fish and quality reef there. in the past, dynamite fishing was used, killing almost all life. very sad. it is not certain is the reef will ever recover. one decade of this style of fishing has possibly destroyed it for several generations.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb