" A Day Back to the ancient History & Culture of Buddha"


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Pakistan's flag
Asia » Pakistan » Peshawar
May 20th 2018
Published: May 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Thanks for reading my blog dear fellow travel lovers this is my first blog,which i am sharing with you based on my personal experience,i hope you will find it interesting.The ancient ruins which i have chosen to write about is, Gorkhatri ,this literally means the warrior,s grave the ancient archaeological site in Peshawar,Khyber Pukhtunkhawa Pakistan.This site is called caravanserai's in history books,this is equally sacred for Buddhist,Hindus,Sikhs,British and Muslims.

Gorkhatri in the ancient city of Peshawar was identified by Alexander Cunningham with the Kanishka stupa, the giant stupa of King Kanishka the Great,it is the place where the famous tower of the Buddha bowl once stood.As per historians this is the place of Hindu pilgrimage where they performed the Sardukahr ritual (shaving off heads).Mughal Emperor Babar, who recorded its importance in his autobiography, visited the place.

In the early 16th century, Jahanara Begum, daughter of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, built a pavilion at the ancient site, and converted the site into a caravanserai, and named it Sarai Jahanabad. She also constructed a Jama Masjid, a sauna bath and two wells inside Sarai Jahanabad for the convenience of travelers.The Sikhs converted the site into the residence and official headquarters of their mercenary general Paolo Avitabile who was governor of Peshawar from 1838-1842. They constructed a Hindu temple for Shiva there,which still exist inside this pavilion now a days.The Gorakshanath temple is situated in the centre, a network of prison cells and buildings in the southern and western side of the complex and a fire brigade building, which was built in 1917.

This is really something which other travelers should visit to see this ancient ruins,Museum and Hindu Temple.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb