South African interlude


Advertisement
Pakistan's flag
Asia » Pakistan » Islamabad
December 25th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a pleasant stay in South Africa where we found that, after almost three years, prices have rocketed, service provision has declined with power interruptions almost daily, and the black population has become more self-assured and therefore much easier to live with, we headed back to Pakistan. We left behind a country where deep divisions are created, politically, between a man who meant well but established an almost autocratic rule and another, who is favored by the masses notwithstanding being accused of gross corruption and rape. The latter, Zuma, will be head of the most powerful politically party until he steps in the shoes of the former, Thabo Mbeki, as head of state.
In the short period we were there, just before Christmas when bank- and money transport robberies come to a fearful climax, almost 20 robbers were killed by the police.
We stayed with David, our son and Norah who share a marvelous apartment, we were 2 weeks in a Formula I hotel, saw old friends, re-established a good friendship with the Behrmann’s and ate shortribs whenever we could, because pork is no-where in sight in the Islamic countries we visited.
In Abu Dhabi where once again we were to stay in their magnificent airport building for eight hours, we were surprised by a typical Christmas atmosphere. Surprised, because in an Islamic country we had not expected a large decorated Christmas tree and even less a performing choir, male and female, singing Christmas carols.
In Pakistan all is quiet. We were welcomed at the campsite by a empty spots where fellow travelers used to be, except for Walter and his wife who were the only ones to greet us. But that is OK; we had quite a few things to do. We wanted to buy a large sports bag for Ann and some other goods, a second multi-pocketed pair of trousers for me and other things. But it was the time of the celebration after the main Haj season, the yearly time in the Islamic calendar when the Muslims feast on meat and other good food. The streets were running with the blood of slaughtered goats and everywhere carcasses were displayed for inspection by eager buyers.
We are glad to be back. It is peaceful here, with mild late summer weather and an opportunity, for some time to come, to practice target shooting. Soon we’ll be on our way to India. And whatever comes after that.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb