Why DID we go to Daman?


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
November 5th 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

WhoaWhoaWhoa

The bugs are EVEREST size in Nepal
Actually, the trip to Daman was much more interesting than the town itself...and the trip there wasn’t even very interesting.
We left Bodnath at a decent hour in the morning, stepped outside the initial stupa site and we were instantly mobbed by taxi drivers who will take any price that you first ask just so that they won’t lose you to the another taxi. We asked to be dropped off where we could catch a bus to get to Daman. As we drove back through to Kathmandu and the outskirts thereof, I was more than happy to be heading towards the mountains because somehow the smog had gotten worse that day than any other day that we had been in Nepal and I was having a hell of a time breathing.
The driver let us out at a bus station which was very far from where we actually had to be to get a bus so we had to head back to the smelly, smog filled road. But it didn’t take long before we were on the city bus that would take us to the ‘micro bus’ that would take us out of town and on the incredibly windy, twisty and
looking outlooking outlooking out

at the...lookout tower
bumpy 3 hour ride to Daman (with outstanding mountain scenery along the way, I might add).
When we arrived in the ‘town’ of Daman there was not really and ‘town’ to speak of. All we could see were the two ‘Hotel & Lodge’ on either side of the road and we instantly regretted not looking at the place across the road before saying ok to our mighty dusty matchbox room.
The rest of the day consisted of chowing down some delicious Daal Bhat, hanging out on the lookout tower (checking out the mighty fine Himalayan views), walking down the road a bit and trying not to drink any water so that we wouldn’t have to use the utterly disgusting toilet at our ‘Hotel & Lodge’ (which is pretty much just a room upstairs from the family home and road side rest stop).
We can say that it was an extremely early night for us in Daman. And as they say ‘Early to bed, early to rise’ and that we did, to be rewarded sweetly.
We raced up to the lookout tower at 6am to find that the clouds that had been looming overhead the day before had parted and we
Taking a Sprite breakTaking a Sprite breakTaking a Sprite break

cuz there was really NOTHING else to do in Daman
were left with views that scrolled from the west to the east giving us great views from the Annapurnas all the way to Everest. Not only was the deep valley floor in front of us very impressive, there were the snowy peaks of the highest mountains in the world, floating in the backdrop behind. It truly was icing on the Himalayan mountain cake.
And needless to say we took it all in for a few minutes, ran back down to the ‘Hotel and Lodge’ to gather our things, stood out on the highway and flagged down a bus to take us the heck out of there!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

OUR 'hotel & lodge'OUR 'hotel & lodge'
OUR 'hotel & lodge'

with some peaks in the background
The viewsThe views
The views

that we came for.


Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.3623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb