Phakding


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
October 7th 2017
Published: October 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Oct 7, Phakding, 2610 m
Woke up at 5:30 for our 6:15 departure to the airport. As we were leaving the hotel parking lot the luggage on the roof caught the power lines, maybe 100 all bundled together. The assistant driver climbed on the roof and held up the wires.
The airport was chaotic, but by the time we got through various checkpoints we were directed straight to the plane and I had determined which side of the plane to sit so finally had a good look at the Himalayas. As we approached Lukla, the mountains were above us, the landing was hard, the runway very short, but we made it. We heard from numerous other tourists of the weather closing the airport so they had to pay $500 USD extra for a helicopter flight to Lukla.
Lunch at Lukla was very good. Then we had a 7 km hike, dropping 200 m to Phakding.
The hike was a good indication of these mountains, very steep, dramatic views. The trail is very busy with tourists and porters and buffalo. We passed through numerous villages and the locals were always friendly.
We arrived at the tea house around 4, settled into our comfortable, simple , unheated , two bed room. I then walked through the village enjoying how special this was. We had been advised to eat vegetarian to reduce stomach problems and the meal was again tasty.
Most of the group went to bed by 7, the dining room closed at 9, so that was the end of the first day of trekking.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.2093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb