The First Trek - A Photojournal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
May 7th 2010
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Edit: Photos have been added to facebook instead due to technical difficulties. Please follow the link below to view the photos. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2927093&id=2342301&l=13f1585a40

I just got back from my first trek in Nepal. I spent three days trekking from 800 meters/3000 feet up to 2500 meters/8000 feet and back again and had my first view of the High Himalayas which are absolutely massive.

Right now there is some political unrest in Nepal, which means that all vehicle traffic is banned and all shops have to be closed except for two hours a day. Things are pretty tense in the cities, but up in the mountains life goes on with no evidence of the strike at all. Because of this I will begin my trek around Annapurna in the next couple days. Normally the trek takes 16-20 days, but because all the roads are closed I will have to trek an extra three days to reach the trailhead. The trek starts at less than 3000/800m feet in elevation, but reaches over 5500 meters or 17000 feet before descending back down the other side of a steep pass. The route follows a major trade highway between a string of high altitude villages that can only be reached on foot or with pack animals. Nights are spent in so-called teahouses in the villages, which provide cheap accommodation and meals to hikers. Because of this its not necessary to take food, guides, or camping equipment, and I'll never be more than a couple hour walk from the nearest village. Internet availability along the route is very limited, so it may be a few weeks before I post a new entry. Stay posted for pictures of the High Himalaya in a few weeks.

Advertisement



7th May 2010

Annapurna Circuit
I am planning a trip to Nepal, arriving in Kathmandu on May 16, 2010. Sounds like you may know first hand of the conditions there. Based on the reports, I'm concerned about traveling, but would only cancel with tremendous regret and heart ache. Can you offer any advice? Come to Nepal or cancel? Thank you! -Julie
9th May 2010

Please Help If You Can
My Cousin went on the Trek below apparently right before the riot we have not heard from her can you advise any american speaking agency over there that could possibly help us we are getting very scared. She is 23 and traveled alone, I am sure hooked up with people on the trek. Thank You in Advance for any info you can provide. TRAVEL TIMELINE: April 18, 2010: Left Hotel Elite, Kathmandu for Syabrubesi April 19, 2010: Arrived in Syabrubesi April 20, 2010: Received last email and contact before Hiking "Langtang Trek," from Syabrubesi. April 27 THROUGH May 1 or 2, 2010: Anticipated return to Syabrubesi, we've had no contact Proposed Trek Itinerary: LANGTANG TREK Day 1 - Syabrubesi to Renche/Lama Hotel Day 2 - Renche/Lama Hotel to Langtang Day 3 - Langtang to Kyanjin Gompa Days 4 to 8, possibly 10 - may include day trips from Kyanjin Gompa before returning to Syabrubesi (maybe day 10, @April 30)

Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb