Nepali road block - en route to Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
January 7th 2009
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

7 Jan - despite swallowing gallons of the river yesterday, I feel fine. Poor Kristina however was vomitting all night resulting in the local doctor being called and IV administered! My immune system proves itself yet again (it should also be noted at this point that I have not had Delhi belly the whole time I've been in India and Nepal...or in fact any health problems since the Syrian Skits months ago!). We need to leave Chitwan early as Bhup has heard that Nepal is 'closed' ie there's possible road blocks. Kristina and Kyle will travel by car later that day to join us in Pokhara.

We say farewell to this beautiful resort and board our magic bus again. We drive for about an hour before reaching the road 'block'. In fact this is only a log in the middle of the road but there are also a hundred or so unhappy Maoists / Mawaddis. Such protests are common place in Nepal following recent changes to the running of the country. The protests are mostly peaceful and the activists wish no harm to tourists, however they are extremely disruptive. We end up stuck for 4 hours while talks elsewhere in the region are underway to resolve their issues. The tourists and locals are just as curious about each other, especially the kids who board our bus and the entrepeneurial hawkers selling bottled water, crisps and corn on the cob! There is only one skirmish when a troublemaker grabs a plank of wood but he's soon controlled. It's impossible to work out who is in charge...if anyone...as there is police, traffic police, army and UN personnel milling around. Eventually, there's a victorious cheer and everyone runs back to their vehicles and we're on the move. We weave through the traffic which is backed up at least 5km either way.

We continue our journey stopping off at an impressive suspension bridge in a picturesque valley. There's lots of kids playing footy on the sand below who are delighted when we start throwing sweets down to them. The beautiful hillside scenery continues and then...I spot them...the huge, snow covered mountain peaks in the distance of the Annapurna Range, the Himalayas...an AWESOME sight! We stop at a roadside restaurant for a late lunch with the mighty mountains as an amazing backdrop.

We reach the beautiful and vibrant trekkers town of Pokhara about 5pm. Just before the sun sets, the light is magnificent and we get great views of the Annapurnas and Macchupuchre, the Fish Tail while driving through this sprawling, higgledy piggedly town. It's dark by the time we reach our hotel though so can't see Phewa Lake which our hotel overlooks. Kristina and Kyle arrive safely with Kristina feeling slightly better.

Bhup and I head out to dinner but find that due to mawaddi 'strikes' resulting from their grievances about working conditions and the lack of electricity, the market and most restaurants are closed / only allowing diners well inside their premises. Therefore a quiet, quick dinner then back to hotel for early night as I've a very early / pre-sunrise start the next day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb