8th Day in Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
October 20th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday evening Megan had a strange fever. During the night she was ill and that kept her awake all night. Not a pleasant night so in the morning she was tired but the illness had gone. To remain in that area, my stomach problem was still not over. Oh well, those things happen too. After breakfast we put on our old clothes to drill holes for the lights and go painting at CWH. Once there we found out that all of a sudden the mason man already was painting! So no painting for us and drilling holes was out of the question too. We decided to spend the day preparing for the sportsday tomorrow. To be honest that was time well needed! We went to the other home (Childrens Welfare Association) to get the names of 15 children that would participate. Turned out that out of the blue there would be 22 children attending from that home. So we were getting over 50 children at the sportsday. That changed our plans a bit, Tuesday is going to be a busy day! We will go back to CWH this Wednesday to continue our work there. Because of some successes with the electrics more and more jobs our mentioned so that will take up some extra time too. While I do that Megan will be very busy doing the decorations in the classroom. We saw a flier for Parahawking. That involves feeding hawks in midair while paragliding. Seemed like something fun to do so we are going to try to do that. This evening, as promised, we took all the kids to HEHQ for a dance performance. A few things went wrong (like a faulty music installation, luckily it was fixed) but it was a success in the end. After we brought everybody home again we still had to do some work for tuesday so it was a long day.

We weren't able to do much at the home today so we decided to spend the day planning for Sport's day (and quite truthfully, we NEEDED the whole day). We went to the Children Welfare Association Home to find out the names of the kids to write on the certificates and found out that we were expecting 22 and not 15 kids from there. We we went off to print off extra certificates, buy extra stickers and work out the scoring and the prizes. We decided that we needed 4 teams instead of 3 and worked out how we were going to mix the 2 homes up into the teams. We tried to make the scoring fairly simple by giving teams points for the volleyball and obstacle race and just give bonus points for the 3-legged race and sack-race so that kids could score more points for the team by participating more times. We have 5 adults how have said that the hope to be available to help with the kids so we're hoping that a couple show up - 50 kids with just three of us will be a huge challenge otherwise! Pashupati found us some bibs for the teams to wear in the volleyball match and a whistle so we just had to design a high-jump rope (in case we have spare time).

After a day of planning and shopping we then headed back to the home to collect the kids for their dance 'rehearsal' (staff concert) at Himalayan Encounters. Of course, they weren't quite ready but soon enough we were back only to find out that we hadn't planned very well and there weren't any seats set out. After running around like mad things getting seats organised all the kids sat in the seats and didn't leave room for the staff to sit down - oh, oh, oh!! But sorted - we made a few of the kids sit 2 to a seat and made room for the staff. After more delays due to technical problems with the music, we enjoyed a great concert by the kids and got to join in with the dancing! Fun had by all!!! The kids were happy to be out of the home for awhile and were pretty excited about the drinks and snacks provided by Himalayan Encounters. We then walked the kids back home before collapsing into bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb