Sixth Day in Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
October 18th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today at the home, came extra sand and cement so that the rest of the garden wall could be completed. The boys were amazing, further working on the trench digging and then carting the sacks from the trailer into the garden. The sacks must have weighed at least 30kg and some of the boys would hardly weigh that much but they carried them regardless. These kids have such an enthusiasm to learn and to help - I think they are often really bored and these sorts of activities bring them a break from the monotony of their lives. This seems to be particularly so during this, the vacation period when they don't have school to keep them occupied. We couldn't do much to help with the garden wall as the kids were making the cement and the mason man had to do the brick laying. While they were doing that Jan went to work with yet more work on the electrics and I took to taking photographs of all the kids ready to hang on the classroom wall. Managed to photograph all but a handful of kids and was pretty happy with the results! Even managed to have my photo taken by the youngest girl. Jan had to remove the powerpoints so we could buy replacements and he had some helpers who were again keen to learn some new skills.

Later in the day we went with Majella (the volunteer coordinator) to the 'small children's home' (the Children's Welfare Association home. Note that the home we were working at is also referred to as the 'Big children's home'). This home was such a stark contrast for us to what we were used to. The home was so much more like a home with lots of children, the kids seemed happier, cleaner, were dressed better and the whole atmosphere seemed somehow 'healthier'. As Jan so adequately described it: the small children's home feels like a family that took on some extra kids and the big children's home is just a business. When we arrived we met the weird dog that is resident there. Normally animals love Jan but this one nearly took his hand off when he tried to pat it - I guess that could be considered as protective but I think the dog is just a bit of a mutt myself!! But to make up for it, a butterfly soon landed on his arm! The older children were building a fence for their newly acquired goat, which was making itself heard. While they were busy doing that we sat down for a cup of tea and a chat. Soon after that we were entertained by yet another dance demonstration - rather different from that at the other home and also terrific!!! just before leaving we had to sit on the step to put our shoes back on (Nepali custom that you remove your shoes before entering a room/house). The dog was back and promptly sat himself between Jan's legs. Every time Jan lifted his hand to tie his shoelaces, one of the dog's paws would pat it away! Carried on like this for ages - so Jan hadn't lost his touch with animals after all!!!!

In the late afternoon/early evening we headed back to the big children's home but couldn't play with the kids as they were all helping to clean up after the masonary work, moving rocks out of the way and generally cleaning up. There's no stopping these amazing kids!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Having my photo taken by SabinaHaving my photo taken by Sabina
Having my photo taken by Sabina

The photos of the kids are on a separate blog!
Another photo of meAnother photo of me
Another photo of me

Taken by another one of the kids


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb