Love at first sight - NEPAL!!!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

I LOVE THIS POLACE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

After leaving Varanasi, we tool a the 12.30am ( late as always) to Gorakpur, Varanasi station was no where near enough scary as the one at Agra!! Maybe we are getting used to it.

We boarded the AC2 carriage and fell alseep straight away on the comfy beds. At 7pm we arrived as Gorakpur where we needed to take a 3 hour bus or jeep to the boarder town called Sunali and cross the border into Nepal.

Border Crossing into Nepal

From the many stories from familty and friends in India, I was expecting a horrendus journey but surprising it was so easy. There was not much info on the internet about what the buses are like or the kind of people on them.

I tell you know - there is nothing to worry about. We walked out of Gorakpur station and there were jeeps were they would vramm in 13 people but where charging a lot - seemed like all the taxi driver were in on the price fizxing, We decided to take the local bys which was 80rupees! It was monging - I had a woman throwing up constantly out of the window in front of me and a man throwing up and spoitting behid me - all good fun I suppose. We did this journey at 8am in the morning and it'sfine1 Wpouls not recommend you do this at night at all - make sure If you are going this route that you get a train that arrives in the morning into Gorakpur.

3 hours laters , after many stops in villages etc, we arrived at the Sunali, got off the bus and walked striaght down the road for 1km. We saw the signs or immigration and visa . It was so easy.. We crossed thw border and then filled out visa forms again.

We were starving at this point and decided to get fooid then headed off to Lumbini

Lumbini

Lumbini is the birth town of Buddha - very quaint. That afternoon, Marianne and I decided to hire some Indian bikes and rode arond Lumbini and the plethora of monastirs for 3 hours - it was wicked1 It felt so good to have the exercise and also expore on our own!! I could write tonnes on Lumbini but I wont! It's an awesome place and has a great feel to it. It was a taster of Nepal and already I was in love with the friendliness of the people and children - they love practising their English on us!


We spent a night there then in the morning, took the bus to Pokhara. After 3 bus changes* all the buses broke down) and 10 hours later , we arrived in Pokhara abnd checked into a hotel that had blzing red hot showers - Snowlands - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and we got it dirt cheap as its low season!!!!

Paragliding!

Pokhara has this feel of tourist town but not so much u feel like the place has been ruined by tourists - its amazing! Again so much to say but all Im gonna say for now is that I just did a paraglide from the mountains and it was bloody amazing! I can't even begin to explain how I felt - the peacefulness of being 12000ft high ang going through clouds is awesome - see the pictures and judge for yourself!!

Off to Chitwan National park tomorrow for 2 days to ride elephanrts, bath them and spot tigers!

Think Im getting a dodgy stomach too - been fine throughout India!!! Will see what happens!


Bye~!

P.S. I also did a trek up a mahusive mountain1 Well it felt like it - we actually did a 2 hour uphill climb to see the World Peace site lead by some tarzan nepalese boys1 A story for another time maybe!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



31st January 2008

Awesome
Hey! Well done on the paragliding, it looks awesome and i agree with the comment u said in your email now ive seen the pics! take care p x
2nd February 2008

Lovin' the blog!
Hi Dee - reading your blog all the time!! I am sat here in my hotel in Tokyo reading what you are up too! love steve and jenni x

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb