Victory to the people of Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
April 25th 2006
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kasko Jit (Who won)??? Jantako (The people did)!!!!

Today is a wonderful day to be in Nepal, revelling in the jubilation of throngs of civilians who have poured through the city streets.

They have won a people's war against King Gynendra, who last night (April 24) at 11.30pm, gave into the demands of the agitating Seven Party Alliance, and announced a democratic parliament would be reinstated by Friday (April 28).

The king's third attempt at abating the people's movement since the alliance's nationwide strike was imposed more than 2 weeks ago, came at literally the 11th hour.

The biggest demonstration yet was planned for today, when two million people, including the leaders of the agitating parties, were expected to storm the king's Kathmandu palace.

It was almost certain to have resulted in a state of emergency or a second massacre of the royal family.

While the king's reaction this time is only the first step towards absolute peace, freedom and democracy in Nepal - the Maoist insurgents still threaten to hamper the process - for now, it's time to party!

The country is on the move again; buses, taxis and motorcycles are in motion, shops are open and everybody is on the street. Kids can go to school again. It's a wonderful day for the country. Shanti Nepal (Peace Nepal)!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb