hot day!!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Lumbini
March 19th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

5:15 pm 3/19/07 Parasi, Nawal Parasi Province, Nepal (just east of Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha):

Back at the cyber cafe for another quick interview and a few more pictures. I'm the only one here, so the speed is much faster than yesterday with all of the kids chatting on yahoo! Only took 5 minutes to log into the blog...

Today was a pretty mellow day - just got out of the Filters for Families compound on the outskirts of town (it is the home of the former police chief and his family; the locals ran him out of town a year ago; he is now in Kathmandu as a Secretary in the new government).

Much hotter today, probably 85 degrees with 95 percent humidity. The house is solid concrete, though, so is very cool on the lower level of the north side where our rooms are. Yeah, didn't have rice for breakfast this morning, had eggs! Robyn was really ready for something different and I didn't mind tagging along on the change 😊

Linda had a big meeting with some reps of a local non-profit partner of FfF. They were in big trouble. Instead of charging the locals 300Rupees for the filters, they were charging 500 and pocketing the difference. In a place where a weeks wages for the main breadwinner is 100rupees. They did find resolution and Linda was able to convince them to reinstate the one women who they fired in their organization. She happens to be the only one trained in the filter setup and distribution process. What interesting drama!! Got to see first hand what she does on a daily basis.

As for me, I'm missing having lunch each day. We only have breakfast and dinner. No bread is hard!! Dalbat, dalbat, dalbat....beans 'n rice, beans 'n rice, beans 'n rice!

Want to upload pix, but don't have a USB port and think it may take too long. Have 30 minutes until power goes off for the evening, so don't want to chance it.

Looks like we will be here tomorrow and then Wednesday head back on the bus to Kathmandu. That will give us all day Thursday and Friday morning in Kathmandu.

I'll try to write tomorrow, but don't be surprised if you don't hear from me until Wednesday evening or Thursday morning (Wednesday morning or evening Denver time).

Hugs to everyone!
Sarah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb