Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
March 6th 2011
Published: March 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone!

We arrived in Kathmandu safe and sound on the 1st of March and we are now settling into our life as teachers!
Our first experience of Kathmandu was in the airport. When we got there we weren't entirely sure how much a Visa would be and so we both made sure we had 50 US dollars with us (thinking that would be more than enough!). However, we were wrong and when we got to the airport we found out that the Visa we needed would in fact be 100 US dollars each! Thinking (in our western civilization way) that they would have an ATM somewhere in the airport we asked a nearby guard where the ATM was (as it wasn't in our sights anywhere). He then pointed outside the airport and said that it was down the street outside! So, to get money for the Visa we had to go out of the airport (bearing in mind this is past Visa control and customs) and get the money out to then bring it back and exchange it at the exchange counter in the airport! It was all very confusing and rather stressful but we got there in the end! Thank goodness! We were then greeted by a man with a sign saying Sapta Gandaki School and bundled into a very small taxi. About half a hour later we arrived at the school and met the headmaster (Tshewang) and his wife and children. We were taken on a tour of the school and met all of the pupils which was really lovely. We are staying with the headmaster and his family and they have all been very welcoming and nice.
So far we have only done one day of teaching as they have had public holidays for various events such as Shiva's Birthday and Sherpa New Year! We have just celebrated our 3rd New Year, which was once again very different from any other New Year celebration we have ever been a part of! We are getting fed lots and drinking copious amounts of tea which in Nepali is called Chaya!
Start teaching properly tomorrow which we are both very much looking forward to.
We shall try and keep you all updated as much as possible, it is proving quite hard to find the internet at times but we shall try our best!

Hope you are all well,
Lot's of Love,
Roseanna and Anastasia
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb