The first lessons learned


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

What I've gotten used to very quickly...

1. The constant stares... because Im so tall.
2. The 'I show you', 'money for biscuit?' and 'hashish miss?' comments that come from everyone trying to get money from you on the streets.
3. The numbness from sitting crossed legged while eating... even in restaurants.
4. The need to watch your step... there are cows and their droppings all over the streets.
5. Constantly saying no.
6. Bargaining for cheaper prices... its hard when they say things like 'Please 100 more.. this is nothing for you', which is true when 1 USD = 77 rupees... but it prevents inflation and rupees definitely add up over time!
7. The constant honking and cars whizzing by an inch from your feet.
8. The timid dogs in the street by day and their endless barking by night.
9. The need for a headlight (I got mine today)... power is out 12 hours a day because the hydro power is so low right now.
10. The need for incredibly warm clothes! It's hot during the day and surprisingly freezing at night!!

Those are the top ten but we start eating with our hands tomorrow so Im sure Ill discover a few more very quickly!!!

Advertisement



4th January 2009

I'm reading!
I wanted you to know that I'm reading, first of all, and that I'm absolutely fascinated! Canada is suddenly looking very grey. And snowy. ;) I would have never thought about number six, or at least the inflation aspect of it. There must be so many things to learn. Culture shock ahoy! Your pictures look lovely...I'm jealous and missing you a lot. Stay safe, please!

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb