A belated celebration of women


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
September 26th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A few weeks before I left Nepal, women across the country put on their best red saris and celebrated the Hindu women's festival, Teej. The idea of Teej being a "women's festival" is slightly misleading, as the primary focus of the festival is not to celebrate women, but to give women the chance to fast for a few days and pray for the health and long lives of their husbands. But I suppose what sets Teej apart from most other Hindu holidays in Nepal (during which women typically fast and pray for the health and long lives of their husbands) is that women combine their self-sacrificing devotion to men with an opportunity to play dress up, get together with all their friends and relatives, and sing and dance until they literally pass out (because they haven't eaten all day). Clearly my take on the holiday was a rather superficial one and I could have used an education in the spiritual and cultural justifications for the holiday, but alas I chose instead to wander around Kathamndu's main temple complex (Pashupatinath) in blissful ignorance and take lots of photos of beautiful women in red. Here they are, almost a month later...


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



28th September 2008

nepal travel blog nepal news nepal travel nepal holidays,map of nepal
http://Socionepal.blospot.com is one of the top ranked Nepal travel blog which provides details about Nepal culture, histories of Nepal, trekking in Nepal, natural beauty like mount Everest. it also provides info about trekking routes to different places of Nepal

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb