Crazy Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
May 26th 2016
Published: May 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The visas at Kathmandu were very smooth and we were through to the taxis within half an hour of landing. Cas had arranged a taxi via the guest and the journey to Thamel district gave an insight into Kathmandu life: chaotic, energetic, noisy, colourful, run down. There were bits and pieces of rebuilding damage still being done following the earthquake in April 2015. It turns out that the houses that fell were made with bricks stuck together with mud.
The guest house, De Veda, was along a small alleyway and we'd booked two rooms with three beds apiece. Cas was not too pleased with the hotel as it was a bit shabby, but we decided to stick with it in the end. There was no aircon or lights until 6.30pm as there are severe electrical shortages, another vestige of the earthquake.
The kids were hungry by this time as they didn't eat the food on the plane. We took a walk down the main road on the way to our restaurant and it was a riot of souvenir, clothes and rug shops selling everything from cashmere scarves to brass Buddhas to Gurkha knives to Chinese paper lanterns. Motorbikes whizzed down the narrow roads, so Ed and Hat were under strict instructions to walk on our inside.
Dinner at Rosemary's restaurant was a big success, the kids ate it all up and our table was in an interesting little courtyard.
Back at our room we all settled down for the night. It was noisy outside: dogs barking, people chatting, pigeons warbling.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0156s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb