Sandwiches, cheese cocktails, and a leaky cake- back to Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After some MUCH required washing (mainly ourselves, but also some clothes), we made the ultimate discovery in Thamel, Kathmandu. Its name: Sandwich Point.
Unanimously agreed as the makers of THE BEST SANDWICHES IN THE WORLD EVER!!!!!
Granted, our food for the past 2 weeks was less than uninspiring…but even so, we have a new obsession with sandwich point. Cheap, massive, and tasty. What more could you ask for?! Find it next to Pilgrims Hotel. Oh, AND they do breakfast. The day after our arrival back in Kathmandu though the unthinkable happened. Sandwich point was closed. All day. The whole city was subdued due to a political strike of some kind and many of the shops and restaurants didn’t open. Devastated isn’t the word…
Spent the day visiting Durbar Square. Lots of pigeons around which I did not enjoy, and apart from that, pretty underwhelming. Durbar Square in Patan was much more worth the visit.

The 23rd of February was Ben’s birthday! Treated ourselves to a nice breakfast (could have been better but again, Sandwich Point was closed!).
Kate booked to go to Annapurna Base Camp, and the rest of us will accompany her to some hot springs, then come back for an earlier flight to Bangkok.

Spent the afternoon abusing happy hour, which lasts 4pm-8pm most places. Lots of cocktails, one of which could have been cream cheese. Very odd, and not a good addition to our centre glass in ‘ring of fire’.

Happy hour continued into one of Thamel’s Irish bars where we presented Ben with his Birthday Tunic. Now he looks like a proper local…or a bit of a tool (his expression). A beautifully presented birthday cake completed his birthday treats. Tasty, but for some unknown reason, wet. And not in a good way.

All a bit tipsy we headed back in preparation for an early start. Picked up some street food on the way, we can all recommend what we have dubbed ‘meat on a stick’.

Lesson of the evening: Drunken emailing- not a good plan.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb