Lazy Kathmandu Days, and Messy Kathmandu Nights...


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 5:07am

So it is my final day here in Thamel - I am really looking forward to coming home, as am finding Kathmandu really touristy, loud and boring. I wish now I had spent a couple of days longer at the orphanage home. There is nothing Nepali about Thamel- it is like being in the airport arrivals lounge, rather than the actual country.

Saying that, had a really good night out thursday. Met up with some guys who had travelled from Tibet, and it was the last night out for some of them. So we had LOTS to drink and went onto a Nepali nightclub, which specialised in Hip-Hop from about 5 years ago! It was lots of fun though, and I danced like a nob until the wee small hours... was desperate to let my hair down.

Have been so impressed that my sense of direction has been really good, and I have not been lost at all. Especially considering the streets have no names, the maps make no sense, and all the shops look the same. But how stupid is this- I have been calling the road where my hotel is "hat street", because on the corner there is a shop with millions of hats outside... so leaving the nightclub on thursday was the latest I have been out, and the first time that all the shops were shut! Closed shops = no hats, and I was thoroughly confused, and embarrasingly had to get a rickshaw to take me to my hotel- which turned out to be about three seconds away from where I was... oops!

So yesterday was mainly spent nursing a hangover, and a stomach that has now decided to react to the change back to western food- make up your mind! The volunteer coordinator, Dipendra, then took me for dinner to say thank you, and we went to a restaurant that had Nepali dancing, and after hours doubled as a prostitutes bar! It was fun though, but left the night reasonably early, to watch TV and be kept awake by cockroaches the size of small children running over my floor...

So my journey is now at an end, and I am very sad to leave, at the same time as being very ready to go. I hope to see some of you soon (providing I survive the plane journey, but I think the fact that despite my ditzy blonde reputation, I have made it this far, probably means I will make it!)

Take care all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb