Free Tibet


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 17th 2008
Published: March 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just arrived in Kathmandu a few days ago and I have been gearing up for the trek and all the necessary permits/visas for China/Tibet. The option of going to Tibet is a big if right now due to the Chinese brutal crack down on some monks who were protesting on the anniversary of a Tibetan rebellion. I met a journalist on the flight in and he said his newspaper (The London Herald) told him to get into Tibet as soon as he could be monks were getting gassed. The next day we hear all the boarders are closed and that 100 people have been killed. I was relieved to see the news hit both the front page on BBC.com and CNN.com because this kind of oppression is ridiculous. I did also read the reaction of the head of the Olympic committee who said, (this is not a direct quote) "a boycott of the Olympics would only hurt the athletes." Bullshit, it would hurt all of China, their integrity, economy, national pride, and teach them that human rights is something that should exist in a modern day society. They have spent billions of dollars on changing Beijing to make it appear cleaner, less populated, improved transit systems; just so the outside world thinks things are different that they actually are. Hopefully with all the attention around the Olympics and the Tibetan riots the world will give China a hit that they should get the hell out of Tibet.

This rant has been brought to you by Charles E. Jefferson.

Our trekking starts the 20th and everybody is excited to get on the road. I might be able to update things a few times through out the trek but that is unknown.


Advertisement



17th March 2008

Tibet Trip
Be careful Charlie, and make sure to take photos

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb