Greetings from Nepal!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
February 4th 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys!

We've made it to Nepal- finally! Delhi airport was a bit of a nightmare, we were stuck there for 10hrs and our flight didn't appear to be on the screens! but then we found out a few hours before takeoff it actually was there, we weren't in the right place/ looking at the right screens! we did eventually arrive in Kathmandu (only 39hrs after we left Derby!).

Kathmandu is a bit of a culture shock! but its brilliant and everyone is really friendly. The hotel is in a great place and the room's nice but we only get electricity at night, 3 hrs after the sun has set! hot water is also an interesting feature- there isn't any! so a cold shower in the morning really does wake you up! (Sarah quite enjoys the refreshing showers, but Phil complains a little! although Sarah has yet to experience the full effect during a hair wash!).

Today was our first full day in Kathmandu. We had a good sleep- going to bed about 8.30pm and getting up around 10am, it was well deserved after 2 sleepless nights in airports! We started the day with a walking tour from Thamel (the touristy area where our hotel is) to Durbar Square, with a few detours on the way due to us getting a bit lost! but it was all good fun! The roads are really an experience- its a big fight between cars, motorcylists, bicycles and pedestrians as to who can get there first! We had our first meal, in a rooftop restaurant overlooking Durbar Square, with great views over the mountains surrounding Kathmandu and the Langtang mountains (which are over 7,000m- Phil finds this fact VERY exciting!).

Durbar Square is in the centre of Kathmandu, just south of Thamel and contains loads of interesting temples and the government palace where the king used to live. Everywhere is very colourful and you could just spend ages gazing around at everything. We went to the Maju Deval (Hippie Temple) where John Lennon smoked marujuana (this is a very famous fact apparently, as all the Nepali guides kept telling us this). We also saw Nepal's only living goddess- the Kumari Devi, she's only 10yrs old and they chose her by putting her in a darkened room full of 108 buffalo heads and men dancing in horrific masks. If she's not scared then she is allowed to be the goddess!!

We'll be hanging around Kathmandu for the next few days, so I'm sure we'll do another update soon!

Lots of love to everyone, keep in touch esp as we don't get any UK news! Sa and Phil x x




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



4th February 2008

Great to hear from you!
Wow, you guys are gonna be good at this blog malarky, i can just tell!! Really enjoyed reading about the adventure so far...flights sounded a bit horrendous and weather and showering sounds fun!! (Good luck with the hair washing Sa, and at least that could cut short Phil's shower time!!) :P Glad to hear your both doing well, enjoy exploring. Look forward to hearing from you again soon!! Lots of love from Derby! x

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb