Chilling out in Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast in HelenasBreakfast in HelenasBreakfast in Helenas

One of the best breakfasts in Thamel, but the rooftop seats are 7 floors up!

Chilling out in Kathmandu

 Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel By Steviec
November 3rd 2006
Stephen Carroll

Thamel vid
Even though the district of Thamel in central Kathmandu is a noisy, dirty tourist ghetto full of western bars, restaurants, camping shops, souvenir shops, trekking agencies and tiger balm salesmen (???) it really is quite an enjoyable place to pass away days and even weeks. The tiny taxis honk, the motorbikes beep and the cycle rickshaws ring their bells as they all vie for the precious space in this narrow maze of busy streets with no footpaths. When it all gets on your nerves there is always a bookshop, restaurant or rooftop cafe to duck into, relax and watch others suffer below. We ran into other travellers that we had met in Tibet, changed hotel to a cheaper one (12$/night) and spoiled ourselves with big breakfasts, cocktails and big juicy steaks. Maybe this last indulgence was too much on Agnes still dodgy stomach, so much so that we elected to fly to the start of the rafting trip a day later rather than chance the gruelling 16 hour bus journey to the west of Nepal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Thamel HitiThamel Hiti
Thamel Hiti

The Hiti is the communal water source where people wash their clothes and themselves (still clothed).
Pilgrims guesthousePilgrims guesthouse
Pilgrims guesthouse

After the rafting, for several reasons we ended up lodging on the top floor of Pilgrims GH in Thamel. We saw every James Bond movie ever made on Star Movies ... a few times.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb