On top of the world


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
February 21st 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

How? How can two so geographically close countries be so far apart in virtually every way?
Nepal is so relentlessly beautiful and, on the whole, a hell of a lot cleaner than the country we've just left.
After crossing the border we spent a bottom numbing ten hours on a public bus en-route to Kathmandu which we reached during one of their many power cuts (the 'lecky is out for six hours daily). A very welcome sleep later (we had been traveling virtually non-stop for three days) and we were out amongst the jewelry and hiking shops of the Thamel region of Kathmandu.
We were exceptionally cheered by the nearest restaurant to our hotel which sold normal western food (that didn't lead to an extended stay on the toilet). The staff at the restaurant were all deaf and dumb too but performed their jobs admirably (although complex orders were out of the question). If you happen to find yourself in the Bakery Cafe in Thamel try the cakes which are amazing.
Having poured over the many, many gem outlets (well Linz more than myself) we had a day traipsing around the temples guided by two local children (who had amazing knowledge of world capitals). We made our way up the countless steps to the monkey temple (where a monkey stole the afore mentioned boys' bottle of coke) and went all around Durbar square.
We had dinner that night at the Rum Doodle Bar (free food if you've conquered Everest!), a mountaineers haunt where the walls are festooned with signatures of the likes of Edmund Hillary and Chris Bonnington.
The following day we got up early to hit the airport and a flight (with Yeti airlines.... I kid you not) to see mighty mount Everest. This was $130 each well spent and well worth the experience. We then made our way back to the hotel and yet another bottom numbing public bus to Pokhara (trekking central here in Nepal due to the proximity of the Annapurna range).
The scenery has been out of this world here in Nepal and the people have been absolutely lovely (although still try to squeeze every rupee out of you that they can).
Next we're off to the Chitwan national park for a couple of days (Elephant safari being the highlight) before a sleeper train back to Delhi and a flight straight out of India.

Take care, all, and write again soon,

Bri and Linz

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb