Crazy Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
November 13th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

WorldWorldWorld

The worlds oldest Buddhist Stopa (temple)
After a gruelling delayed journey we arrived in Kathmandu at 4.30am.

Picture the scene...

Dark empty streets. People taking a few vegetables to market. Wild dogs sifting through dark corners looking for scraps. People huddled over small fires. People selling scrap metal in small piles. It was desolute and shadowy with people exchanging curious glances at us. Far from anything I have ever experienced and certainly a eye opening welcome to a poverty stricken underworld of Kathmandu.

Today we've experienced so many sights and sounds. Temples with monkeys running over them, 3 cremations by the river side. 1 of which was actually on the roadside about one metre away from me. Apparently these were the 'untouchbles'. People that didn't quite reach to the point in life which entitled them a decent cremation by the river which feeds the Ganges.

There were kids in that same river sifting through loose scree and remains to find gold fillings.

Several occasions I have felt embassed to be there with my posh camera. There is something dreadfully uncomfortable about being rich when everyone around you is struggling.

The markets are bustling here. A constant drone of horns as motorbikes
Ride to LuklaRide to LuklaRide to Lukla

My flight to Lukla
and small cars sneak through the streets and past the crowds.

Kathmandu Guest House is a small oasis of calm surrounded by a city founded on chao. The people are amazing frinedly and despite the hustle and bustle the pace of lives feels calm.

The experience has been absolutely amazing.

Tommorrow morning at 7am I fly out to Lukla. An experience which many of us want to get over quickly because we are only too aware of the runway length.

See you in Nache Bazaar

Nameste

Gareth






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Maoists!Maoists!
Maoists!

One of the last Maoist checkpoints. Whilst we were in Nepal we heard that the Maoists had stopped targetting tourists.
WaterWater
Water

Across from the funeral pyres was this water pipe. The rag at the end was a primitive way of filtering the water. I quick reminder why I was doing this for WaterAid.
KumariKumari
Kumari

The home of the Kumari (incarnate god) in Durbar Square, Kathmandu


13th November 2006

Wow!
Good to see you've got there Gareth! We'll be keeping our beady eyes on you! :) Mark, Becky Evan and Luke
13th November 2006

Proud Sister
So glad you arrived safely Gareth. Your description of Kathmandu was so good it made me feel as though I were there with you. Just want to let you know that I am so very proud of all that you have done and are doing now. The world would be a better place if more people were like you. All my love Cher x
15th November 2006

Scary flight?
Hi bro, have been looking at pics of the landing strip and hope it went ok for you. OMG!!! stay focusses :-)

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb