Border Run / First Impressions of Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
May 12th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After arguments with the driver and the hotel staff, and a flat tire in the desert, we finally made it out of Tingri and to the Nepalese Border.

The drive out was once again amazing, reaching 5200m+ once again as we drove out onto a vast barren plateau, and looked down on the clouds and the snow covered mountains.

Winding down from the hills the vegetation became lush and green, the air smelled of earth and rain and our anticipation increased.

The border itself was pretty cool. Both Zhangmu (Tibet) and Kodari (Nepal) are town set into the hillsides, their streets winding and clinging the mountain as colourful trucks rumble up and down and people of all persuasions sell their wares. A raging river rumbles between the two and crossing the bridge really is like crossing into another world.

Getting 60 days in Nepal was a great way to start, and after finding ourselves a Datsun for the drive to the city, we set off.

The countryside was immensely refreshing after the cold, barren landscape that was characteristic of our last few days in Tibet. All around us was green forest, waterfalls cascading down the mountainside, tiny villages between the trees. As we emerged from the gorge more and more colourful villages appeared, goats, cows, chicken and children roaming the roads as we roared past. The fields were full of vegetables and the dress of the locals was like a kaleodoscope of colour.

Due to a traffic accident we were delayed somewhat and then forced onto the backroads, driving through the mud in tiny villages as the townspeople looked on in amazement.

As the sun set over the valley the fields gave way to the brick buildings on the outskirts of the city and the streets filled with locals on their way home after a busy day.

We finally arrived around 7.30pm (9.45pm Chinese time), exhausted and hungry. After finding a nice, cheap double we feasted on cheap Nepali food before falling into bed.

It's completely different here and feels like we are truly on the edge of India. Following the recent troubles it seems like there are no tourists at all and people stare at us as we walk by, even in the touristy parts of town.

We're going to spend a few days here relaxing and then we'll head off into the countryside to really explore. China & Tibet was one hell of an experience but we can't for this next adventure in Nepal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb