Burns Surgery


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
December 17th 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone

the other night i had to interview a GP, just asking about his role, the general health nepali ppl, etc, and he aslo happened to be a plastic surgeon, working in the burns unit of Nepals biggest and oldest hospital, completing plastic reconstructive surgery on burns patients.

he was very egar to show the group around his hospital and ward, which i am heaps excited about. he doesnt have any allied health professionals on staff, so when a patient arrives, they get treated, if their bad enough they get surgery and then they are left to heal. if they get contractures on anything its like oh well

the patients dont recieve any compression bandgaging to help with the scars, or any limb movement and training to maintain any range of motion in their joints, so basically when they leave they cant move. so i hoping to spend my last couple of days at the hospital, volunteering there, jsut to see if i can offer anything to the people. i might even be able to sit in on one of his operations, it might be gross but would be an awesome expereince, maybe something like a skin graph.

So im not really sure if all that will happen, but im definately going to give him a call, after i do a bit of research. the interesting thing was, he said 90% ofhis patients were female, and the major casue of the burns was attempted suicide. what an aweful way to try and kill yourself.

apart from that, we finished presenting our health awarness programs to the school kids and the community. now they should be all knowledgable on personal hygiene, family planning, nutrition etc. the school kids were really good, but i think all of the ppl that came ot hte community program jsut wanted to come and see some white ppl. by t he end they were all very bored.

other than that tomorrow i start at the spinal cord unit, which is super exciting. will wrtie about that next time.

bye
cb

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb