Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Boudhanath
July 5th 2012
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we planned out our time in Nepal with the help of the Travel desk at the Hyatt. High on the list of priorities was to do a flight past Mt Everest. Today was our first attempt at this challenge which involved rising at 5.30am, a drive to the airport, go through security procedures and then into the waiting room in anticipation of boarding. After waiting for an hour or so we were informed that the flight was cancelled due to bad weather and we learnt that the flight will not eventuate unless you are gauranteed a view of the Mountain.So it was back to the motel for a delicious brreakfast. Diary entry: "We have hit monsoon season and the weather is humid and rain showers, particularly in the afternooons. We headed into Thamel. I love the streets that are alive with colour and endless shops. In this area there are loads of craft shops with craft that was locally made in Nepal. We dined at a restaurant called "Kilroys" which was delicious and then we continued our exploration of Thamel. I managed to leave behind my scraf and newly acquired umbrella in a shop.I didn't realise for an hour or so later. We sought the assistance of 2 Rickshaw drivers and endeavoured to retrace our Steps!". You have know idea what a challenge this was as there are so many narrow laneways and so many shops, and behind these dedicated Rickshaw drivers, pedalling away, we were taken all over Thamel.After several stops and consultations over a map we finally found "Kilroys" and could then retrace our steps. And amazingly so retrieved my scarf and umbrella! Diary Entry; "We made the Rickshaw drivers day as they wanted to charge us 1000 rupees each. We could see other Nepalese people watching our negotiations , blatantly laughing,and we realised we were being taken for a ride ,literally. Even us green tourists thought this was a little rich so we bartered down to 1500 rupees between the two of them which is approximately $8.50 Aus each!" After an exhausting day of shopping in Thamel we returned to our Refuge at the Hyatt for Happy Hour in the Lounge and beautiful Canapes which was enough to eat for the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb