Patan, just south of Kathmandu city.


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Boudhanath
June 9th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was time for me to put to good use the money that my friends had given me for the orphanage kids here at Sunrise.

They have very few books so it was decided that we would visit a great book store in Patan.

We went through central Kathmandu and there was once again a protest of some sort. That seems to be a daily occurrence here. Every morning I read the local paper and there has been a demonstration, a Banndh (shut down of everything) or a protest of some kind. It’s a very new government (the Maoists are out) and things certainly are in a state of flux. Don’t worry, I feel quite safe but it is an inconvenience when I can’t get to places because the road has been closed - again!

Patan, apart from having a really good book store, also has a great square called Durbar Square. Yes, you have seen photos of Durbar Square before, but there are two. Confusing -yes! This one is bigger and the buildings are even more wonderful.

We strolled around and I took lots of photos while Briony from channel 7 took lots of video footage. She is here to do a bit of a “Doco” on Sunrise. Then we had lunch in a beautiful green oasis of a courtyard.

We then had a very difficult trip with all the wonderful books to the orphanage. Once again, roads closed so we had to go along some very rough out of the way tracks with pot holes like caves. Poor Sangeeta would have needed a chiropractor after that and the car, well, the little Marutis must be tough.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb