Treking to Mt Everest the hard way - Jiri to Namche bazaar


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Jiri
November 2nd 2011
Published: November 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Waking at the crack of dawn we checked out of our Kathmandu hotel and set out on the adventure of a life time - Trekking deep into the heart of the Himalayas to the base of the highest mountain on earth - Mt Everest. We headed to Ratna park bus station for the early 7 hour bus journey to take us to the starting point of our trek - Jiri. So after purchasing the bus tickets we were unsurprised to find that our seats had been double booked meaning we would have to catch the next bus, but with our spirits high this didn't bother us. Once on board the cramped bus surrounded by people, bags and livestock we were on our way. The scenery was amazing the whole way as the bumpy ride passed through dramatic valleys getting deeper and deeper into the foothills of the Himalaya with every turn. Eventually we arrived at Jiri where we befriended a lovely Malaysian couple and all checked into the new Mt Everest guest house for some food and an early night to prepare for the adventure that was to begin bright and early the following morning.

Day 1 - Jiri to Shevalaya (3 hours)
Day 2 - Shevalaya to Bandar (5.5 hours - 900m ascent 600m descent)
Day 3 - Bandar to Sete (7 hours - 650m descent 1050m ascent)
Day 4 - Sete to Junbesi (7 hours - 1280m ascent 1220m descent)
Day 5 - Junbesi to Choykha (11 hours - 900m ascent 1250m descent)
Day 6 - Choykha to Serke (10 hours - 1500m ascent 500m descent)
Day 7 & 8 - Rest day in Serke (due to Hayley's sickness)
Day 9 - Serke to Phokding (7 hours - 1000m ascent)
Day 10 - Phokding to Namche Bazaar (6 hours - 1000m ascent 100m descent)
Day 11 - Acclimatization day at Namche Bazaar



Additional photos below
Photos: 115, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb