An anniversary in Janakpur


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Janakpur
May 31st 2006
Published: June 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we left Kathmandu at the ass crack of dawn one morning, spending over 12 long hours on a hot, dusty bus on the way to Janakpur. Well so we thought. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere we were turfed out of the bus, and onto another that rumbled along, this one bound for Janakpur.

Janakpur is a holy pilgrimage site for Hindus, being the location of the marriage of Rama and Sita. So despite being a popular place for tourists, it is not exactly made for Western Tourists and the accomodation refleccted this. We stayed in a pretty grotty excuse for a room, where I was eaten alive thanks to the holes in the mosquito covers on the window, and the bedding carried the marks of all its previous users.

It did however, have a great breeze, a functioning fan, and a stunning view over the huge mughal temple that is the prime attraction of the town, and the temple to Rama & Sita. We spent a day exploring the temples, making use of the fan and the BBC and just relaxing. It was basically too hot to do a lot, but we did have some tasty lychees.

It wasn't the most romantic anniversary ever, but we were together, and I don't think it's one we'll forget!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb