chapter 3


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
November 13th 2013
Published: November 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Nepal is one of the ten poorest countries in the world, but has the greatest income disparity in Asia. The literacy rate is 49%, but as so often happens in poor rural communities, the rate for women is 35%, as girls are kept home to look after younger siblings. There is a fair amount of political unrest at the moment as an election is looming and one of the communist parties is holding a national strike to protest about the validity of the electoral process. There are road blocks on the main roads, stopping all the vans, buses cars and lorries (which makes the air quality much better and may be why we can see the Himalayas 130 kms away, which are usually shrouded in mist). We avoid thee roadblocks by going cross country to the project, which is very scenic, passing villagers busybuilding haystacks, drying rice, and planting the next rice crop.

People are friendly and welcoming to us, and are careful of their animals. Ducks, chickens, goats and ducks roam the streets and traffic steer round them, slowing for the fowl and beeping a horm for the dogs and goats.

On Fridayevening we had a talk from the Regional Director of the Ruarl Community Develoment Programme (website rcdpnepal.org).

They have worked with AidCamps before, building an orphanagae and renovating another school. Three of the Aidcampers on this trip were involved and are very excited to see their work beeing put to the use and being developed further.Nepal is similar to India, but cleaner. Hindus are the largest group, but there are many Buddhists and countless other smaller religions. They all seem to rub along together with no friction.

There are many craftsman making wooden animals and religious figures, baskets, bags, clothes and embroidery - all reasonably priced and a shopper's dream. Apparently the way to help the workers is to but their produce, which we are doing with alacrity (not with any raised funds, I hasten to add; that is going directly to the project). Toni has told me to stop her buying any more necklaces. I tried the other day, but she took no notice and bought two more.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb