Relaxation and hard work.


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
November 16th 2013
Published: November 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Last Saturday was free as our planned trip to Devghat was deferred to Sunday because of the strikes and road blocks. Toni, Dave and I found abig hotel with a swimming pool and for 400 rupees (2-60) were able to spend the day there. Sunday we wet tto Devghat, a sacred place at the confluence of two rivers where elderly people go to die - like the exotic Marigold Hotel but without Bill Nighy, just as well as Toni and I may have fallen out over him. A long tortuous journey through unmade roads followed to Kankuli, a reputed picnic place near fforests. It was full of teenagers who enticed Toni, me and 79 year-old Myra onto the dance floor. They all wanted to havve their photos taken with us and made us feel young again for about five minutes.

Monday and Tuesday at the project we finished cementing the floor of the third room, put stones and gravel on thee verandah and concreted that. Toni and I met with the headdteacher and talked about equipment she would like for the school. We sing action songs with tthe kids; they love the Hokey Cokey and She'll be coming round the mountain so we've written the words out for them. Tuesday afternoon two of us go for a bike ride for 50 rupees an hour (30p) and make our bone-shaking way through local villages. It's strange to pass an elephant plodding along the street and I noticed the ducks understand about traffic. One stopped until he saw which way round him we were headed. We've plastered the wall by throwing trowels of render at them, and the plastered smooths it down. We sive tthe sand thhrough a wire mesh, bag it up, then drag it to where we are mixing the cement. It's mucky and hard, and we take it in turns. Dave, Phil and Roger keep at it, and the rest of us takke turns as it's very heavy work.

Toni and I went to Narangat with Leela and the HT to buy equipment for the school, carrying most of it back the scooter and motorbike. BIkes and motorbikes weave across the road, avoiding the potholes and each other. It seems manic, but it is at a reasonably sedate pace and I haven't seen an accident.

We were supposed to have a long weekend off but there is so much still to do, and with the election on Tuesday and being unable to work there on Monday (election rules as the school is a polling station) we worked all day Friday and a long morning today. Tomorrow morning as a concession we can work till 10am, so we will start work at 7am. Monday and Tuesday we will have off, thank Heaven - I'm knackered. We're whitewashing the walls and ceilings, with a floor scrubbing brush attacched to a long stick. It's quite tricky as you have to hold it almost flat against the ceiling, and the white wash drips down your arm or onto your face. Toni and I look like spaceman as we're togged up in white overalls from ankle and wrist to a hood.

There was another festival the other day, and most of the locals went up to the crossroads on the main road for music, tombolas and street markets.A few of us have colds that we're passing around, and washing up situation doesnt help. Everything is washed in cold water, and we're sure germs are being passed around, but no-one seems really sick. The food is very good, rice and dhal and lots of vegetables.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb