Machhapuchhare Base Camp


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
November 29th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

October 25, 2008 Saturday 12:25 p.m. MBC Day 5



We had a 2 ½ to 3 hour walk up the River Valley to Machhapuchhare Base Camp (which isn't really a base camp since climbing the mountain is not permitted). It was fairly steep in places; We took it very slowly, as it is getting pretty high here - about 11,000 feet. I did a walking meditation most of the way. The air is so clear, crisp. We arrived at the plateau where most of the lodges are - I was near front of the group with Jane and Vim. We are surrounded by snow covered peaks, also rocky ridges, Annapurna 3, Annapurna South, Machhapuchhare. At least 2 other snow (glacier) covered peaks. Simply unbelievable, incredible, magnificent. I waited there on the edge of plateau for Bruce who was with Dilman and Dave. I had to see Bruce’s face when he arrived. Bruce was “moved to tears” (As was I, less obviously). We put our bags in the room and then Vim and Dirga guided us up through a grassy hillside to the edge of a ridge, for Bruce to take pictures before the clouds moved in. We arrived at about 11 a.m. Now the clouds have pretty much obscured the peaks.

Jane is washing in hot water. David just returned from walking up the ABC trail partway.
We’ve ordered lunch. Bruce and I both ordered soup and gurong bread.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb