Day 11 - Hike to Phorung Phedi


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna » Annapurna Circuit
April 21st 2019
Published: May 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Left Yak Kharka at 08:00 and started with a fairly steep climb. Every morning when we start my legs already feel tired but as we progress they start to warm up and I get into rhythm. Krissy still wasn’t feeling the best and we were all concerned for her but she told us she could go on slowly and that’s exactly what we did.

Our first rest stop after crossing a long bridge was at 09:20 at Dhading Laxmi Hotel. After a short break the trail leveled out somewhat and we stopped again for a tea break at 10:10 before we started downhill to a wooden bridge at 11:10. We then had a strenuous 20 minute climb up a very steep trail and had our third rest stop at Deurali Tea House at around 11:30. We stopped for about 30 minutes and ordered some tea and relaxed before heading off on the final 40 minute hike to Phorung Phedi.

We arrived at the Hotel New Phedi at 12:40 and Sudarshan had made the decision for us that we would stop here to the night rather than pushing onto High Camp. He said that because Krissy had AMS it was better to stay here at 4,540m rather than at High Camp 4,880m. It just means we have to start earlier tomorrow at 03:00 as we will be about an hour further away from Thorung La Pass, the highest part of our trek. The idea is to get to the pass before 09:00 as that is when the winds start to really pick up. So tomorrow will about a 10 hour trek.

We all had lunch together at about 13:30, then Nick and Krissy rested in their rooms, Vicki and I sat in the dining room with our laptops and Mitch went on an acclimatization hike and he actually went to High Camp and said it took about one hour forty minutes.

Facilities here were similar to Manang, no attached bathroom and just a share basin in the facilities building and I had to pay for inconsistent internet and for charging devices. The tea-houses in the mountains generally have clean sheets but often the floors and other things are a bit dusty.

Thorung Phedi is quite a small place but the hotels get quite busy because it is one of just two places where people stay before crossing Thorung La Pass.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb