Anyone seen a Mongolian Horde?


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia
August 24th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mongolian TrainMongolian TrainMongolian Train

Our train that would take us from Siberia to Mongolia
After the train arrived in Mongolia, we found ourselves in the bustle that is Asia. Compared to the silence and reservedness of the Russians, the laughter and talk of the Mongolians seemed strange.

Once the train arrived in Ulaan Baatar, we only stopped for a quick shower before heading on to a nomad's camp on the edge of the Gobi Desert. The drive would take nine hours and all of it off was road (there are very few fixed roads in Mongolia, usually after a few people have taken the same trail it seems to become a road). We had signed up for a guide and driver to take us there, and there were a few others who were using the same agency as us (The Russian Experience), so they also had their own driver and guide. Our guides were all lovely, all girls and all students. As part of their university break they took tours.

The journey was very long and quite a bit uncomfortable, but the scenery was spectacular. After all the crowds that we were used to in London, this was amazing and wonderful. In all directions was just huge expanses and large spaces.

After
Prayer WheelsPrayer WheelsPrayer Wheels

At one of the Mongolian/Tibetan temples, spinning the prayer wheel is like making a prayer.
nine hours and with very sore butts, we arrived at the nomad's camp. We spent a few days here, sleeping in the traditional tents (gers) and just wandering around and enjoying the scenery. The nomads that we stayed with were an extended family, and between them had almost a thousand animals, goats, sheep, horses and a few cows. They had very little facilities, no showers or running water and the toilet consisted of a hole in the ground ringed by chicken wire about 200 metres out in a field. As a bloke, going to the toilet was an easier affair, with no bushes or trees to go behind, we had to simply walk out on to the steppe and turn our back to as many people as possible, but on the edge of the desert, there were not many people anyway.
While there we did visit the old capital of Khakorum where there was still a monastery. All the Buddhist monasteries in Mongolia are of Tibetan origin, and even the chants are in Tibetan. It was fascinating to get an insight to this branch of Buddhism. It does look like the traditional ways are meeting with modern technology as we
Big BuddhaBig BuddhaBig Buddha

The biggest standing Buddha outside Tibet.
saw monks talking on cell phones and young monks texting their friends.

Leaving the Gobi behind (for now) we headed back to near Ulaan Baatar and stayed at another ger camp. This was more of a tourist camp, and had running water and showers, but we still slept in ger tents. Still it was nice, the setting was gorgeous and we had the opportunity to try archery and horse riding. The Mongolian horses are a smaller breed, but are very strong, by the end of our ride I was galloping around the grassland.

Finally back to Ulaan Baatar where after a quick search for a new camera lens cap (I lost my old one during one of the previously mentioned gallops), we boarded the last section of the Trans Siberian (Trans Mongolian to be precise), and made our way towards China, through the sandstorms of the Gobi desert.





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MonasteryMonastery
Monastery

Feeding the pigeons.
Main HighwayMain Highway
Main Highway

One of the main roads.
Local KidsLocal Kids
Local Kids

Some nomads who came over to look at us when we had stopped.
Local TrafficLocal Traffic
Local Traffic

Not that different to New Zealand really, we also often have to give way to livestock
CamelCamel
Camel

My two humped camel, not as uncomfortable as I thought. Maybe the one humped is worse.
Drinking gamesDrinking games
Drinking games

The loser drinks fermented mares milk, a good incentive not to lose.
EveningEvening
Evening

Evening at the ger camp.
GoatsGoats
Goats

In front of the Ger camp, wherever we went the little buggers kept on watching us.
Horses ParkedHorses Parked
Horses Parked

Public carpark.
KharkorumKharkorum
Kharkorum

The Kharkorum Monastery, at the site of the old Mongolian capital.
Polly wants a fingerPolly wants a finger
Polly wants a finger

I dont usually pay for a photo, but this eagle was huge, I was happy to pay 1 USD for a photo. The bird was bloody heavy, but he didn't crap on me so that was OK.
Learning to RideLearning to Ride
Learning to Ride

The boy's father teaching him to ride on a foal. These children are excellent riders at such a young age.
ThunderstormThunderstorm
Thunderstorm

One night the heavens opened and we had an incredible storm, great night to sleep in a tent. Fortunately the gers are very good for all kind of weather.
Morning DewMorning Dew
Morning Dew

Sometimes it is worth getting up early.
Nomad CampNomad Camp
Nomad Camp

The nomad camp from the hill. We dodged poisonous snakes to get a good view.
Nomad with LassoNomad with Lasso
Nomad with Lasso

All the horses can run free, and when they need one to ride, a quick use of the lasso and they have their mount.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Packed lunch with a great view.
Racing along the roadRacing along the road
Racing along the road

Sometimes the cars followed each other, other times it turned into a race, all the way we headed along the dirt road into the empty expanse.
Buying SnacksBuying Snacks
Buying Snacks

There is always lots of things to buy whenever the train stops.
Tran SiberianTran Siberian
Tran Siberian

Our next train on the way to China.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb