Day 13 Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
November 5th 2014
Published: November 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,



Our journey on the Vodka train we have passed through the most spectacular landscapes from Irkutsk to Ulaanbaatar. From snowy, woody, under privileged, industrial Siberia (in some places) to arid brown rolling mountainous areas across the boarder into Mongolia. We have brilliant photos.



After two nights on a 2nd class carriage we arrived in UB at 5.40am, where we met on the platform by our Mongolian honcho Guetta. We were all driven to the countryside (about 60km), to a Ger camp: A Ger is a circular bedroom with a hearth in the middle.



We went back to bed for a few hours and woke for breakfast at 9am. Neil and I then went on a 2hour walk up the surrounding mountains. This has been the highlight of the trip so far! The views were phenomenal!!



At 11am we all went to a traditional nomadic family, this lady called Nia (70 years old) invited us into her Ger and gave us homemade cheese, bread, clotted cream, curds, milk tea and the best for last fermented mares milk (Neil drank it because it was alcoholic). It was delicious. We also had the opportunity to ask her questions about her lifestyle:

20% of Mongolians still live in Gers, she had 8 children-picking 1 child to stay behind to learn the traditions and maintain the farm, the other moved to the city to be educated.



We came back to our Ger camp for lunch, we had so much food, Russian Borsk and Hungarian Goulash. (very multi national)



After lunch, Vicky, Tom, Katie and Joe went horse riding (not particularly enjoyable). We then all played some traditional nomadic games with sheep ankles. Then we dressed up in traditional Mongolian clothes. (there are pics)



We then had tea of meat dumplings, which were awesome then we then watched our mandatory spooks (love we have everyone hooked now) then had a couple beers ,which helped with sleeping in the cold!!! (well, I had to get up every 2 hours to refuel the fire which was because she would have froze to death!!!)





That’s all I can think of for now!! Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



6th November 2014

great blog
Really enjoying your blog. I've just read it out to Dad as we are sitting in front of the fire. It's turning a bit colder here..... but nothing like you've been experiencing. Love the photos. Take care. M&D xxxxx

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb